Colonel Sanders

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Fraggle Rocker, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Colonel Sanders sells Kentucky Fried Chicken. So why do their new TV commercials play the Lynyrd Skynyrd song, "Sweet Home Alabama"?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. valich Registered Senior Member

Because Colonel Sanders is "Southern" Fried Chicken and Kentucky is close enough to to Alabama to consider them both as "the South." And it is! I was born in Cleveland, Ohio but was quite bewildered when I move down to Dayton, just north of Cincinnatti, where there were plenty of "rebels" whose motto was still: "The South's Gonna Do It Again!" Confederate flags and all!

Damn! Why'd you have to post this so late at night? Now I have this irrestible craving to drive up town to get a dozen!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pasquala Living on a Prayer Registered Senior Member

OMG- I was just saying the same thing about a week ago to my husband. He said it is because KFC is stupid. Then again he really don't care what their theme song for the commercial is. As for me I think that it certainly confuses the average Fried Chicken eater. Kinda like the whole Jessica Simpson and the Chicken of Sea Tuna thing. Is the chicken from Kentucky or Alabama?
    Sorry, The 70's were really good to me and sometimes it shows.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You should all know that employee's refer to it as "Unlucky Fried Kitten", I'm still not entirely sure why, perhaps someone coughed up a fur-ball.

8. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

when did this happen, and i live in england is the advert out here or can someone send me the link to the advert

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

10. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

kentucky fried cat :bugeye:

KFC...asian style

11. valich Registered Senior Member

I don't mean to be racial, but it seems that more African Americans flavor chicken more than caucasians and there's more blacks down South. Church's Fried checken is also a hot spot in Southern states.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Southerners of all ethnic groups like Southern fried chicken, just as they like catfish with hush puppies and collard greens. Those are Southern regional dishes.

It's just that Kentucky was a Union state. To imply that Kentucky is part of the South, by associating it with what is now practically the Alabama state song, and by muddling the recipe for Kentucky fried chicken with Southern fried chicken, is stretching it a bit.

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

<----currently a resident of Nashville Tennessee....... conveniently located between Kentucky and Alabama (yeehaw).

At any rate, what do you think would have been a more fitting song for the commercial?

14. I broke into KFC the other night and stole 8 crates of Fruit Shoot.
    Not really anything to do with the topic....

But it was fun

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't work for KFC's marketing department so it's not my responsibility to find a good song for them. My point is that I'm extremely surprised that their marketing department thought "Sweet Home Alabama" is a good song. Perhaps they're right, they're the professionals.

It is just a shock.

I always thought that the name "Kentucky" Fried Chicken was carefully chosen to avoid alienating Yankees. We all know that Kentucky is full of Confederate Sympathizers. Nonetheless when it mattered, the state's voters chose to remain loyal to the Union. Judging by the condition of both race relations and regional relations in the USA today, I believe that still matters enough to affect a business decision. I don't believe that a business named "Alabama Fried Chicken" would have been as successful in Pennsylvania, Illionois, New Jersey, and Vermont as KFC has been. Not even in California. It will be a long time before we forget Selma.

The song by Lynyrd Skynyrd was a rather poignant effort, during the love-and-peace-and-brotherhood era of "the 1960s" (which actually didn't end until around 1975), to establish a dialog. The lyrics about Governor Wallace and Watergate highlighted recent events in American history that established considerable solidarity between the younger generation of Southerners and Northerners, and the snub of Neil Young's ham-fisted intrusion into our fraternal squabble was a nice reminder that we're all Americans and he's not.

Maybe it succeeded. Certainly 9/11 began to heal this 140-year-old wound in our national soul. Bars in Virgina that on 9/10 had huge Confederate flags behind the bandstand now have huge American flags, even though the same bands are playing the same songs. The Pentagon is, after all, in Virginia; the 9/11 hijackers were too ignorant of American history to understand how attacking targets on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line might cause us to set aside the festering anger we've been directing at each other for so long and focus it on them. Our aphorism, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," has perhaps not been translated into Arabic, Pashto, Farsi, and Urdu.

This TV commercial has certainly provided a bit of a sociology lesson for us all.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Neil Young isn't an American?

17. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Lorne Green, Dan Aykroyd, Alannah Myles... Those sneaky Canadians are taking over our entertainment industry.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Roman Banned Banned

NEIL YOUNG'S NOT AN AMERICAN!?

zOMG!!!

My whole world is turning upside down. I feel so... alone.
    Is this what it's like to lose your faith?

20. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

some say this thread is a waste of time...

others say an INCREDIBLE waste of time.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yet they take the time to add a new post and keep it on the front page of the forum so it attracts other readers and posters.

22. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Well it seems threads deemed unworthy will now be deleted. The cesspool is redundant.

23. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

well if that turns out to be the case in the long run im leaving