Next gen DVD standard agreed

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Avatar, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

News Flash

Next gen DVD standard agreed
    Manufacturers have agreed a standard for the next generation of DVDs, which will be capable of holding more than six times as much information as existing discs.

The Blu-ray disk, so called because it works with a blue laser that operates at a higher frequency than current technology, can store up to 13 hours of film, compared to the current limit of 133 minutes. The new discs can hold up to 27GB of information.

Nine consumer technology firms (Sony, Philips, Samsung, LG, Thomson, Hitachi, Pioneer, Matsushita and Sharp) have signed up to the standard. It is hoped that this will avoid a repeat of conflicting approaches that came with the introduction of DVDs in 1996.

DVD players which can record and play Blu-ray disks are expected to hit the market between 2003 and 2004.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

My computer currently has a 10 gig hard drive.

That is pretty incredible. Think of the gaming possibilities, avatar! Whole lifetimes experienced, more 'extra features' than anyone could ever, ever want. I want one!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

That's amazing, my laptop has a 10 gig, the old 166 came with a 4 gig hd, the 486 had 420 mg, and the 386 had a 90 meg. (new one has a 51.5 gig hd)

The advances of computer tech seem to show up daily.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hi,

Excellent news.
    could you fill in more details please,like would it require new reader(I mean Laser readers),etc...

bye!

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think tht it would nead a new reader, because our current readers use simple red laser. Here's what I found additional on Reuters->

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- Nine consumer electronics makers including Japanese giants Sony Corp. and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd. said on Tuesday they had agreed to a uniform standard for next-generation DVDs.

In reaching a basic agreement, the firms hope to avoid the fragmentation of standards for recordable DVD (digital versatile disc) recorders that has plagued the current line-up.

There are now three DVD standards.

The new format will have 27 gigabytes of memory on one side of a single 4.7-inch (12-cm) disc, allowing for more than 13 hours of television to be recorded, compared with two hours on the current 4.7 gigabyte disc, the companies said.

Also agreeing to the format were Philips Electronics NV of the Netherlands, South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and LG Electronics Inc., and France's Thomson Multimedia.

Japan's Hitachi Ltd., Pioneer Corp. and Sharp Corp. round out the nine.

Licensing of the new DVD format will begin in the spring.

The high-capacity optical disc will be called the "Blue-ray Disc" after the blue laser used to cram information onto them.

The nine companies said they aimed to develop a disc with a capacity of over 30 gigabytes on a single-side single-layered disc and over 50 gigabytes on a doubled-layered disc.

While recordable DVD discs have not overtaken video cassettes as the preferred method of recording video, the proliferation of high-speed, broadband Internet connections and digital video delivery is expected to boost demand.

Copyright 2002 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm going to mention the blatent Consumerism....

Okay you manage to get yourself a DVD player that manaes to play some of the DVD's that the first players couldn't.

It's taken years of finicky behaviour to finely tune into some sort of balance, And Viola... Suddenly technology is off again and you've got to buy the New one to replace the Obslete.

Normally I wouldn't whine at this, because what do you expect with progress.... But I whine because us little people, the ones that band together to make those big people bigger are sitting back and taking standards that shouldn't even be inflicted on third world countries.

I say if we are going to buy a product, it should be so advanced that it doesn't end up obslete for at least 10 years from when it's Mass Manufactured.

There... nice rant for you to read...
    P.s.
    I've already obsleted that format!

10. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

From what I read of this, normal DVDs and such are using red lasers, and these are called Blue-Ray because they will use a blue ray of laser, thus making smaller units of data available on the disc. Coz blue smaller than red light.

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

All the laser readers today are Ruby Laser readers,essentially...

bye!

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

So you want the progress to slow down and wait for you? Of couse big manufacters could hold those 27Gb DVDs for 10 years, but what for and think of the consequences (sp) . Immagine what would have happened if mobile phones or internet was paused, because big mail and telephone companies would start to lose clients and people would have to buy expensive equipment. I think tht the progress is worth small inconvenience in favour of new, mind strikking inventions, discoveries.

Of course it's easy for me to speak like this, because I have no DVD player

And noone is forcing you to actually buy Blue-ray

, but you will anyway

Cheers and good luck with new technologies!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2002
  13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I wasn't suggesting the shelving of produce, but I was suggesting that what we get at the consumer end is usually something that has been shelved anyway. When we get it after it's been unshelved, they've already got through about 3/4's of the research for the upgrade, making what you've got obslete.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

So what do you suggest?

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I was just suggesting that even while these companies decide who signs, or doesn't sign up to this version, That version is becoming obslete.

The companies should sign a more permanent "Media" package, namely if a new media comes along, they promise to utilise the standard. They put some money in for signing to the package and promise an amount each year, thus funding the R&D into new media types.

16. kmguru Staff Member

If you think, you bought your new TV, VCR and DVD player last month and hoping it will last ten years, you are for a big surprise.

HDTV: Widescreen true HDTV with 1080 resolution now but will only last another 10 to 15 years or so. Because next step is to double the resolution again.

DVD: Today, there is no such thing as HD-DVD. Progressive scan does not cut it. The new 27GB disk will change that.

RADIO: Your AM/FM radio is obsolete. Gotta buy XM that is CD quality.

VCR: No HD-VCR yet. Unless someone comes up with a technology where it can record HD signal - it will go away like the 8 track. What will replace the cheap system? Not invented yet.

STEREO: Most of our music is still stereo even though musicians record them in 48 or 96 tracks. So, someone will come up with a 12 channel CD on the new format that you can mix to your liking depending on where you listen (Car, home, Office, poolside, romantic dinner, sleep etc...)

MOVIES: Todays picture projections are very poor quality except in a few high end theaters. All future will be digitally mastered light amplifiers with crystal clear projection. But there is a catch. Some movies are puposefully blurred, smoked, fogged to not to show imperfections and also use artistic expressions. So the best, highres DVD will not do any better.

LCD SCREENS: New one is ready to be out based on Oraganic LED technology with sharper contracts, color and resolution.

BIG SCREEN TV: They are all rear or front projection of CRTS for now. Future is plasma screen or the new OLED if they can make it big. If we can manufacture 48 inch wide rolls of this stuff, that will change the whole world....

MUSIC: Today's music is recorded with sound system which has a bandwidth of 30 to 15000 (Hertz). That makes listening to acustic jazz CDs very painful. It is like the difference between Angus beef steak and a soy burger. May be someday, someone will wise up ...

Did I miss anything?

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

Stryder,
    Are we forgetting Moore's Law?
    And remember any technology's implementation would require proper implementation of David Clarkes(MIT),<B>APPOCALYPSE OF TWO ELEPHANTS</B> theory,with standards being established exactly where they should be...

bye!

18. kmguru Staff Member

Zion: Do you have a link to APOCALYPSE OF TWO ELEPHANTS?

19. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

20. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

And then 3 years from now they will come out with a 100 gb version of a disc =P

Hell, why not go for a terabyte? =)

21. kmguru Staff Member

I am not sure 3 layer discs will be dependable unless put inside a jacket like the MD discs. Since you are going to buy a new drive anyway, so I am sure that is what they will do. More like 4 layers.

Pretty soon we will reach a limit on that technology and find something new. Terabyte is not far off in about 10 years.

What the heck are you going to put in it? (That is what we said when the 40MB harddisk came out many moons ago)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.