TERRORISM in VIDEO GAMES

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by original, Sep 30, 2006.

1. original sine Registered Senior Member

Those crafty terrorists are back, and this time they mean business! It seems that their scheme has led them to corrupt the minds of children who play video games by simulating the actions of "Iranians" who ruthlessly destroy U.S. tankers. This simulation has no positive effect on children and therefore it must be abolished! ROAR (bitch moan and complain but still a hypocrite).

So, excusing the oh-so-subtle sarcasm, here's an article about the topic that your interest led you to click on.

Iranian video game offers chance to blow up U.S. tanker

It is garbage in journalism. Counter-Strike, the video game they use to get your attention has been out for over 5 years and is definitely not an "Iranian video game". The theme of the game is either fighting a terrorist or fighting the infidels. You can even drop plastic explosives and detonate them when someone gets near you, killing both you and them, allowing you to simulate the actions of a suicide bomber. WHERE'S THE ROOF ON THIS STORY?! THIS STORY IS HOT!

Ugh. The author's salary should be seized and donated to war orphans.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Indeed...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

we have games in which we blow up muslim targets, sheer hypocrisy

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Is this definitely the old game they're referring to - not a new Iranian version or anything? The Reuters link is the only reference I can find to the story.

Does anyone know which country Counter-Strike originates from?

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

People hype stuff way too much, afterall you had all those complaints about the GTA series, you had countries ban "Manhunt" and now the concern over a CS mod (at least I think it's a CS mod rather than an actual new inclusive game).

Yet everyday you can watch the news and hear about how a mutilated body is found, or someone got shot, or another politician had some sexual fling with a secretary thats only too happy to not keep secrets.

Think of the marketing for games a bit like how Art kind of went, where what ever outrages, annoys, bemuses, mystifies or just down right disgusts got "classed" as art. It made a focal point of what ever the subject was, which from a marketing aspect is not a bad thing.

"No PR is Bad PR".

9. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Its a Mod not a game. Those old bastards need to stop writing news articles./

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

counterstrike was released in june 1999, and back then you could choose be be a terrorist and blow up targets in the game. now an iranian does exactly what several americans did years back and are persecuted by the americans for it. how many times has that scenario played out?

11. Roman Banned Banned

There's another game, a strategy one, (called Generals maybe?) where you can either play as China, America, or the Terrorists.

The Chinese special units are hackers that steal money.
    The Terrorists have suicide bombers, including trucks that go BOOM and wipe out military parades.

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

communists that steal money and terrorists that attack military... the makers of that game need to get out a dictionary and get to know what both words mean before they make a sequel.

13. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello

It is getting totaly stupid with the media blameing games and violent movies for all the evils in the world. With the shootings in Montreal it took them a whole day to blame a downloadable RPG on the net and blamed his actions on that game. I checked the game out and wondered "If that game was his incentive then how come the Nintendo game "Zombies ate my neighbours" didnt set him off sooner as it has a simlar style of gameplay replacing water pistals instead of guns and monsters instead of people. The game made Chrono Trigger look like FF7.
    I play RPG'S and own a sizeable collection of them on PS and PS2 as well as Gameboy Advance. I love the good vs evil angle and the many suprises that these games bring big or small and the Japanese have an awesome sense of humor which never gets old. Also the games are restrained in terms of violence which is amazing since the Japanese have the most gory and kick ass movies loaded with blood and gore(the orginal "the ring" was wicked the female lead was a hottie and way better then Naomi Campbell).
    I only hope they dont ban RPGS in Austrialia due to media buttholes. If they do Im off to live in Japan(I will learn their language no matter what) or the USA where I have rights and then its to hell with Austrialia.
    Our anthem is "Advance Australia fair" it should be "Backwards Austrialia Joke".

FCM

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

"Command&Conquer Generals"

One of my favorites.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

There is a sequel already. It's called "Zero Hour".