nutrition

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bohemian Nightmare, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

Hi. Ive been thinkig of going on a strict diet, just as an exercise to see how healthy I can get. So im looking for some advice on what would be a hypothetical "perfect diet". Does anybody have any ideas on what it would be?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Go see a dietitian.

In the meanwhile:
    http://www.mypyramid.gov/

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

Well, obviously i rather make a thread than pay money to go see a professional.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Are you looking to lose weight, or just eat more healthy?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Did you check out the link I posted?

It is the layman's guide to good nutrition, designed by the American Dietetic Association and USDA.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Whoa!!! That must be a first .....YOU, Samcdkey, believes anything written, published, approved or recommended by ....<gasp>... Americans????

Are you making a joke, Sam?

Baron Max

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yeehaw!

there aint 'nuff burgers and freedom fries in them pie charts.

12. Vega Banned Banned

eh,..how much do you weigh?

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, what exactly do you mean by a "strict diet"? In my day it just meant cutting calories to lose weight or at least avoid gaining. Today it often means adhering to one of the many competing models of perfect nutrition.

If you want my input, the word "strict" itself should be stricken. Life is to be enjoyed and that includes what we eat because--duh--it's one of the most basic and frequent things we do. Certainly a bad balance of nutrients can make us feel bad in the long run or even the short run. But a diet that is designed for biological precision without taking pleasure into account can make us feel bad too.

You'll get dozens of suggestions from this crowd on the nutritional aspect and the weight-loss aspect. My suggestion is that you keep some fun in your diet even if it's "naughty."

What foods do you absolutely love? Don't eliminate them because Nanny says they are "bad" for you. Moderate them, make a compromise with yourself. Choose among the various forms of your guilty epicurean pleasures and find the ones that taste just as good and feel just as satisfying as the others, without quite the payback.

If you like chocolate--something I can speak of with great authority being married to a chocolatier--buy real premium-quality dark chocolate, probably imported. Get your cocoa butter and cocoa solids straight, with all the flavor, theobroma, and caffeine. Don't eat milk chocolate with all those extraneous ingredients that leave you wanting more.

If you like hamburgers learn to make your own. Buy a George Foreman grill if you have to. Buy the lowest-fat ground beef that tastes good to you. Buy real cheese to put on them instead of the chemical- and water-based product that can be legally sold as cheese in America as long as it's patriotically called "American cheese." Use real mustard, mayo, ketchup, relish, whatever you like. And buy some nice rolls at the bakery instead of those nasty squishy things the fast food franchises use.

And of course don't listen to me if I'm not talking taste to you. I admit to having a fondness for White Castles because I lived in Chicago when I was a wee tad, and whenever I'm in a city with a White Castle I simply indulge my irrational taste for the steamed atrocities. The rest of the time I make my own and I'm happy with the compromise.

Remember the wise advice:

You can give up liquor, drugs, red meat, fast cars, sitcoms, rock and roll, videogames and all that stuff. You can eat from the Food Pyramid, take up jogging, listen to opera, watch the Discovery Channel, and drink carrot juice.

No one can promise that this will make your life any longer. But you can bet that it will sure feel like it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Dark chocolate tastes like cak. Where's the milky goodness?

Memo to self: 40 lashes for offending Fraggle Rocker.

15. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

The thing about my weight is...im underweight. I cant put on weight, never have been able to. But that doesnt mean im healthy (of course). Ive been eating crap for a couple of year..take away..lots of alchohol...i was looking in the mirror and my complexion seems to begetting a bit shit and I definitely want to make some changes...so I want to go on a radical health nimproving diet. I dont need to lose weight, im one of those athletic frames with a fast metabolism, but im sure i do need to get healthier.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Red: Hey, if you don't like dark chocolate, don't eat it! But if you do, don't eat milk chocolate because it's cheaper or easier to find. I can tell you're an American. Our people have no taste for real chocolate.

Boho: You can't really gain weight by drinking alcohol until you're about 30 and then you'll wish it didn't work that way. But it will give you a crappy complexion.

If you have a fast metabolism it will be really difficult to gain weight. What that usually means is that you have a lot of nervous energy. Do you tap your foot, get up and down a lot, hold things very tightly, pound your keyboard too hard, have a lot of unexplained cramps and pains?

Some of us also just have very inefficient metabolisms. Our Stone Age ancestors underwent periods of short food supply, and their bodies recognized it and learned to be more efficient. That's the trouble with dieting. It fools your body into thinking you're back in the Stone Age and there's a famine. You diet two or three times and your body gets smart and starts storing up calories for the next famine. It's a ratchet effect, you can never go back and you spend the rest of your life eating 1100 calories and trying not to gain weight on it.

So my guess is that you've never dieted. Good. Don't start.

Just make sure you get enough protein, enough fat that is mostly not chemically hydrogenated (but not all of it, you gotta have some food fun), enough fiber, and enough vitamins and minerals. There are plenty of online resources to tell you what those numbers are and how to get them. Beyond that, eat as much as you feel like but don't make yourself uncomfortable.

My advice is to stop worrying about it. Unless your doctor has told you that you're so underweight that you're unhealthy, this is just between you and your body and your body will always win. Worrying makes a lot of people eat more and gain weight, but it also makes a lot of people lose weight. You could just be in a vicious circle.

Are you in generally good health? Get sick no worse and no more often than other people? Feel strong, limber, not sleepy all the time? Maybe you're not in good spirits but maybe that's because you're worried about your weight.

Could be guilt. Do you have a lot of overweight friends who resent you? Do they sit there picking away at their salads and get disgusted watching you eat real food?

Have you calculated your BMI (Body Mass Index)? Do you really weigh less than you should, or do you just think so?

17. Vega Banned Banned

lack of sex could be another factor!

18. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

Thanks, I like the grain of your thought (evolutionary; im into Darwinian explanations)).
    Im pretty sure I weigh less than I should, im about 180cm and I weigh 66kg.
    Its not dranatic I know but my main conscern is not so much being underweight as just not having high energy levels. You know, I wanna be one of those shiny skin, high energy people. I am certianly not one of those. Id like to eat really well and see if it makes me feel better.

You are right about the being a nervous person thing.

I am generally "healthy" yes, I rarely get sick. However, I figure if I keep on with my reckless eating habits I am bound to get sick sooner or later.

19. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

Im just getting out of a long term relationship and I donbt want anything to do with women for a long time. :m:

20. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

BTW, yall, I am aware of the obvious psychoanalytical explanation for the making of this thread, :m:

21. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

I did, I printed out the pdf thing, thanks.

22. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

It's not quite that simple, FR. I think dark chocolate should be banned. It tastes like punishment chocolate to me - the kind of chocolate that I imagine fundamentalist Christians give their children at Christmas, to remind them that the Lord died for their sins.
    I'm British. These days it's more or less the same thing.

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Whatever you do, stay away from dietitians and those pig food pyramids.

Make sure you stay away from meat, dairy, anything cooked, and processed. Stay way from chemicals ,sugars, and other artificial substances.

Drink lots of pure water. Eat pure raw veg foods. These are the types of foods the human biolody is made for.
    Here is a great site showing you lots of things you can use for a truly perfect human diet.
    http://www.rawfoods.com/welcome.html
    http://www.rawfoods.com/faq.html

LET YOUR FOOD BE YOUR MEDICINE, AND YOUR MEDICINE BE YOUR FOOD.
    POWER TO THE PEOPLE.