Signing your name...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Impact, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Impact Registered Member

When you're asked to sign your name for a credit card purchase, have you ever signed something non-sensical or funny? Earlier today at a gas station I signed "I bet you won't even read this before you put this in your drawer." Of course, the man behind the counter shoved it in the drawer without looking. Anyone else do this?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

No, but I've been to a ban (shitty Nat west) they told me to sign and then said "the signature" doesn't match I was trying to withdraw money out. They had taken my card off me. I was getting so pissed off. So now when I sign for something I get paranoid thinking they might say the signature doesn't match.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Impact Registered Member

I wonder if you can get in trouble for signing things that way... hmm... any bankers out there?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I used to have to sign stacks of medical forms for a supplier I worked for. I started getting sick of writing my own name and started signing names of the presidents, Roman emperors, a couple of "Fuck You"s, entire poems on several consecutive forms, Zippy the Pinhead, Moby Dick, Adolph Hitler, and whatever else popped into my head at a moment's notice. I even signed one "Process this form if you are an imbecile".

Never had one refused for the signature.

9. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I drew a smiley face a few times. I also just signed "Hi."

My signature is so lazy is looks like two lines with a few hills.

10. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Oxygen, what country are you from?

11. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Of course, the only thing left to do is sign either Washington Irving or Irving Washington.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I remember signing for something once and the guy standing there Laughing at me saying "Is this your signature?", to which I replied "yes".

In turn he suggested "I could of signed that". I felt like saying, "Well next time why don't you!"

My signature is beyond piss poor, it borders on so explicitly undefine and ambigious that even someones pet hamster scratching at a peanut on a piece of ink paper could pull off a more human print. (Those with pet hamsters can try this, but I wouldn't suggesting feeding the ink paper to the hamster since the ink is more than likely to disagree with his digestive tracts.)

However after the commentary from that "Satelite assembler" in 2000, I became self conscious of my signature and altered it slightly, which in turn caused a few signatures to be declined.

I find signing and actually writing by hand in general impossible thanks to computer literacy, since my brain now functions in regards to key presses my handwriting now looks like a Dyslexic's since my letters get jumbled in the order they write.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I have been signing for my friend's card (business) using my name. The truth is, nobody cares, with good reason. If it is a stolen card, the seller won't lose anything, because the banks secure the purchase. The banks can lose, but it is all included in your CC interest rate. And it is papermoney anyway....

14. Roman Banned Banned

I just write my name down in pseudo-cursive.

15. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

There was this one time I was up in Nottingham, I saw this shop that sold weapons (knives, nunchuks, replica guns (all legal), I went in and picked out a replica gun and asked for a demonstration. Now the guy who owned the shop was quite big, he looked like a gangster - someone you don’t mess with, he laughed as he told us how some guys came earlier and wanted some samurai swords delivered! (that confirmed it for us, he was dodgy!) He pulled the replica-gun out and started shooting these metal pellets, the sap just missed us! I said I’ll take the gun but he said he wanted my contact details (name, address, number), I thought I’m not going to give anything to this guy. He gave me some paper and I made something up on the spot, I gave him a Muslim name a phone number and address. I was proper stressing it because he could have asked for ID to confirm it and I would have been screwed. I gave the paper to him and… the bastard didn’t even look at it! Me and my mate quickly walked out and that was that.

16. John99 Banned Banned

Once i went to the computer super store and they allways ask for me name, so the guy at he register say "what's your name?" i say Adolf he say "what's your last name?" I say Hitler.

Ha ha, he just say "yeah allright" hha ha ha.

17. valich Registered Senior Member

Banks and retail stores do not have an agreement to match signatures so you can put down whatever you like - a straight line, a circle, a dot, or an X - and it will all be approved. Worthless function.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

My signature looks like an ECG. Not much use putting it down or not.

19. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

Nonsense, I've been asked several times if I have other identification, when my signature changed so it no longer matched the back of my card. However, now that we have Chip and PIN cards, it's no longer an issue.

20. valich Registered Senior Member

This has gotta rank as one of the world's most dumbest procedures, i.e., swiping your card through a machine and then having it ask you to sign your name. You can put an X, a dot, or a line on it and it will still always be accepted. The machine does not compare your signature to anything in a database, as you might think it would or should. But if it is a family-owned retail store, and you make a purchase for a large amount, the owner and employees would be equally dumb not to ask for a photo ID to compare your signature to.