The X-Ray Sky

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Feb 19, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The X-Ray Sky
    Credit: NASA, HEAO-1, Boldt (GSFC) and Garmire (Cal Tech/PSU), Skyview, Allen, Jahoda, Whitlock

What if you could see X-rays? If you could, the night sky would be a strange and unfamiliar place. X-rays are about 1,000 times more energetic than visible light photons and are produced in violent and high temperature astrophysical environments. Instead of the familiar steady stars, the sky would seem to be filled with exotic binary star systems composed of white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes, along with flare stars, X-ray bursters, pulsars, supernova remnants and active galaxies. This X-ray image of the entire sky was constructed with Skyview, using data from the first High Energy Astronomy Observatory (HEAO 1), and plotted in a coordinate system centered on the galactic center with the north galactic pole at the top. Sources near the galactic center are seen to dominate in this false color map which shows regions of highest X-ray intensity in yellow. Astronomers' ability to observe the sky at X-ray energies will be greatly enhanced by the recently launched X-ray Timing Explorer (XTE) satellite.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

I don't mind admitting that much of what you say sounds a bit like charlie browns teacher but wow what a great image (The drugs you see!)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I have been told several times that I sound like a teacher. Prehaps, it is the way it is written, or the words that are used. However, in "real life" It is totally different. Go figure, it how others precieve us.

Several have mentioned the photo posts. I think it livens up the forum and gives both interest and topics to discuss if one cares to do so.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.