Sound Insulation!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by alexb123, Sep 25, 2006.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

A baby has just moved next door and the walls here are very thin. Any ideas how I can insulate the sound?

I am thinking of getting some of those office partitions and having them around my bed!

Also this has got me thinking does a mirror reflect sound as well as light?

Any ideas how I can get a good nights sleep I suffer from CFS so this is not a good situation, cheers.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Empty egg cartons. All around your walls. It'll look fucking ridiculous but it will work.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Earplugs?

Actually not such a great idea, cos my alarm would never wake me up.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

internalize your external awareness that the baby is crying.

courtesy of ToR. Don't thank me.

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Bullshit, I never spouted any crap like this. Though personally I can't hear or see anything when deep in thought.

I reccomend ear plugs and a watch which vibrates when alarm goes off, attached to your wrist to wake you up. If it hasn't been invented, then wait a few short weeks and it will have been.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm extremely, extremely disappointed that such a gifted person as yourself who can tune into the external thoughts of someone else does not have to capacity to internalize her own external thoughts.

Extremly, extremely disappointed.

I mean any crackpot can hear external thoughts.

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Try noise-canceling headphones. The new generation of that technology is surprisingly effective. It cuts 20dB, about the same as all but the most industrial earplugs. Play some soothing music through them and it may help with your CFS. You'll still have the problem with the alarm clock, but you can buy or rig up a much louder alarm, that seems like the easiest part of this problem to solve. Cut open your clock radio, jack the speaker wires into your stereo, crank it up (test it first!) and leave it on all night.

If that doesn't work, this is not an easy problem to deal with. Please face the worst-case scenario: You may simply have to move.

Soundproofing is not easy. You can put a lot of effort and materials into it and end up with an apartment that looks like an industrial laboratory, and only reduce the sound level by 3 to 5 decibels. I have in my life tried to soundproof a basement rehearsal studio for a rock band and a garage that was used as a macaw breeding aviary, with professional assistance, and the results were very disappointing. Little tiny places that you can't quite block, like drains and the gaps around doors, let in an awful lot of sound. You'll find that the sound isn't just coming through the wall you share, but out through their door and windows and then in through your door and windows. Through their ceiling into the utility space and down through your ceiling.

It would be far simpler and more effective to soundproof their apartment, and you're not likely to accomplish that.

I am able to ignore noises from children, dogs, birds, and even sometimes adults, if they're happy noises. Kids playing, dogs chasing each other around, parrots practicing their Shakespeare, people laughing. Something about the underlying harmony allows my brain to put it in the background. But unhappy or angry noises are impossible to ignore. Kids crying, dogs barking, cockatoos complaining that they've been locked up too long, neighbors fighting--hopeless.

Have you tried music? Admittedly it's a challenge to pick something that is soothing and conducive to sleep, and then play it loud enough to mask the din, but it is possible. Erin Hamilton's New-Age-Meets-Techno-Disco CD "One World" works for me. Many people find TV to be the world's most effective sleep aid.

You can also try any number of methods for directing your own consciousness like Meditation or the Emotional Freedom Technique. If you have CFS you should be doing that anyway.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Serious solutions then:

Try having a baby of your own. I have become completely immune to crying. I can sleep right through it.

Same for loud children playing. I just don't hear it anymore.

But Fraggle made a good point. This works best when the sounds are positive. Children that wine are more difficult to ignore than children who play.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

the only way to deaden the sound is with cash.
    the thin walls you refer to is a stud shell and plasterboard on both sides.
    solution
    rip off the wallboard on your side fill spaces between studs with sound deadening insulation.
    next put wallboard back on BUT do not let wallboard touch the studs; seperate with rubber washers.
    cover wallboard with acuostic tile.

even the above will not eliminate the sound.
    only when you do all 6 sides will you be gaurenteed of success.

15. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Yes, in fact it also reflects thoughts as well.

16. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Pound your music out loud all night long that always shuts the mother fuckers up!

17. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

There is an old man who lives above me, and his TV is on pretty much 24/7 at full volume. I found that simply not letting it irritate me was a way to get to sleep quicker. You can't sleep when you're pissed off, so just go to bed expecting to hear the noise and accept it... think of other things when you're trying to sleep.

I would complain, but what's the point... he's hopefully going to die within a year anyway.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

there is a difference between a baby squaling and a TV.

19. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Isn't it funny though that on the TV you never hear party wall walking across the floor or shouting and shit. What an idyllic place TV land is.

20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Try and record the baby crying, and listen to the tape over and over again on full volume all day everyday. Eventually you'll get used to it.

21. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Not when programs like the magic roundabout are on in the early hours of the morning. Give me a crying bably to replace it any day.

22. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I find that I can hear my alarm clock even with earplugs. If you have a loud alarm, I would suggest earplugs, because they really do work. You could turn the alarm to radio if you don't have volume control for the buzzer alarm.

Another thing to try would be acoustic foam. The audio technician where I used to work had his office walls covered in it, and you really couldn't hear anything outside of his office. Egg cartons will also do it, as somebody else mentioned. Another thing to try would be that egg carton foam, which would be a much cheaper alternative to actual acoustic foam.

23. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

You could get a pointy stick and rupture your eardrums.