you want to know why old guys wear flatcaps?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by flatcapman, Sep 24, 2006.

1. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello to all

My name is Lloyd and Im a loyal flat cap fan. I read some of your answers in regards to flat caps and quite franky im equaly shocked and discusted.
    Men wear flatcaps because going back to the 1920's life was far far different to what we have know. The parents made the decision to what their kids did for a living and the kids had no say in it. So if the father wore a flat cap the kid wore one 'no questions asked' It was considered a family tradition passed down from fathers to sons. Even some schools had the flatcap as part of a school uniform. I have seen pictures of 10 year olds in tiny flat caps posing for a school picture. Most older guys wear them because they have worn them all their lives and since they have been so trained to wear them since they were younger nothing will stop them contiuing what thet know.

As for me I choose to wear one because I love them. They are beautiful caps with lovely designs and I dont think theres anything stupid about them whats-so-ever.
    One of you said "they offer no protection from the sun" Looks like you shot yourself in the foot pal so baseball caps offer "NO" protection from the sun they look moronic and I will set a baseball cap on fire if anyone buys me one in front of them.
    As for the backwards wearing I belive I am particly responsible for this as one day I went to a mall and my cap was 1 size too small for my head it was hurting my scalp so I turned it backwards and noticed some people with what looked like a movie camera I gave them a "don't f&%&k with me look" galring at them as I get fed up of being stared at.
    This happened one year before "Jackie Brown" was filmed conridence?
    If you dont want to wear a flat cap that fine its your loss but im 34 and im not old yet I WEAR THEM. And forwards too.
    And its for the rest of my life too. I even put in my will I want a flatcap on my head when they bury me
    FCM

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. imaplanck. Banned Banned

You are so interesting, do you gets lots of fanjita. Can you give me some tips with girls?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

no i dont want to know why old people wear flatcaps

goodbye

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

what's a flatcap?

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

So, YOU'RE the guy that started the wearing the cap backwards look, man, it takes balls to do that at 34 and not lose your credibility.

9. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello

A flatcap is an old-fashioned cap mostly worn by old men but from time to time younger guys wear them. Its a British style that has a small brim with two lips at the front and a rather stiff peak at the back. They are tweed,tartin, leather or cotton made.
    Dickie Bird who was an umpire is a famous flatcap wearer.
    People call them "the grandad" style which is not altogether true.
    Its a family tradion with me as well dad.grandad and great grandad wore them so its in my nature to wear them.
    Look under Google under Images and put Flat Cap in it will bring up pictures of the style.

Hope this helps
    Lloyd

10. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Shaddap an' like flatcaps, ya bastards !!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Ey up, I remember when I were a lad in the Dales. On me bike with me whippet running along side, headbutting the cornershop owner into a coma. eeee them were great days!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  12. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

This is a very strange thread. At first I thought it was spam, but now I am not so sure.

13. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Spam and Hovis, aye be gum.

14. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Wow. Those hats look awesome. Where can i buy one? Can you order one for me? My credit card number is 123456789101

15. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Welcome to Sciforums, flatcapman.

Sit thi' sen down, lad. Dost want a brew?

16. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Welcome, and congratulations on your choice of cap. You've obviously put a lot of thought into it.

I think the thread you're referring to is quite old ... just because google tosses up a result like that doesn't mean anyone here remembers that thread

It was certainly before my time here.

17. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello

The companies that make them are Scala, Failsworth, Greenwoods and Kangol. Scala makes ones with a unquie twist like theres one called Tokyo blasted and it's a black and white flat cap that has bumps and riges all over it and looks wicked(have not got one alas but have 3 of theirs).
    The best place is to order on online. There are heaps of places online with varied prices Marks + Spencer costs a little bit more but they are brand name ones sometimes with a logo on the cap and an adjusting size band at the back like a baseball cap.
    It also depends on if you are after tweed, leather, plain or cotton there are also summer lightweight ones and the more heavyer winter ones.
    There's also an advantage to owning a flatcap esp. if you travel abroad a lot you can fold it over itself like a taco and put it into a pocket. Only the button flatcap ones(which the button are a tad uncomtable in a pocket) and the Turnio which is set in a mold cant be folded.
    There are 1000's of styles and colors as its made from suit materal and there are 1000's of suit styles.
    As for helping you with getting one its not really wise pal to give out your credit card number to a total stranger as not all are as honest as myself. But I do appricate your interest. Wear your cap with pride buddy if you do get one as its an individual thing.

God bless you
    Your Sincerely
    FCM

18. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Don't really care much about "capism" or whatever, but putting this in your will is rad.

The heavy metal guy's hat looks cool, but that looks like a different hat than those "old man" hats, or "jackie brown" hats.

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Actually (all kidding aside) I have one question about cleaning flatcaps.
    I currently own a black suede Kangol. It's about 10 years old, and I can't wear it any more because it's too dirty.

My question is obviously- how do I clean this cap without destroying it?

20. Personally, I'm rather sad at the demise of the hat in general. Time was a chap wore one as a sign of status and style, these days it's just a sign you're going prematurely bald and honestly believe other people don't know...

I'm just insinuating. Ignore me.

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Don't tell me you don't know who that is...
    LoL

I know it's a slightly different hat, but the couple or 3 shots I spotted with him wearing something more like what we're on about here were on sights whose sumbitch proprietors were too damn stingy to allow their bandwidth to be purloined, and I myself was too lazy to upload one of 'em via photbucket or some such.

22. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello

The best way is with the same kind of brush used to get lint off suits as there are swade suits and even short jackets which the old guy from The foreigner showed off with his black 3 piece with turnio(and trust me they are a total pain in the ass to keep clean).
    Also try to find a dry cleaner if they is no cardboard holding the cap up they might have suggestions in regards to cleaning it without it falling apart from the inside out.

I hope this helps I had trouble with a black "blues brothers" hat in the same way as it got very dirty in one month.

Lloyd

23. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Is it the singer of ac/dc?