Why?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by RickyH, Sep 22, 2006.

1. RickyH Valued Senior Member

do they arrest WW2 nazis, and not skin heads who want to be a WW2 nazi?

I'm not really looking for the answer "Because they weren't there."

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ermmm.... well, mostly I suppose, it's because of all the people they actually murdered as opposed to just being a bunch of tossers shooting their mouths off.

The law is funny like that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Ha

still though i wouldn't mind sending these nazis to germany by the bus load. Let them go through the justice system they are so founded on

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

It's more satisfying just to line them all up and smite them one by one with a cricket bat.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Surely you must be aware that Germany is no longer the same system that Hitler created in the 40's, right? So even if you shipped the "skinheads" to Germany, it wouldn't be the same Nazism that they worship .....so what the fuck have you accomplished? ...other than send the "skinheads" on a nice vacation?

Baron Max

9. RickyH Valued Senior Member

i like your display of the obvious, but i meant that they should be treated like they treated the jews. Maybe some nice concentration/death camps for starters

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Because two wrongs don't make a right. Persecuting people doesn't undo the persecution of previous victims.

In America, at least, we try very hard (admittedly with varying degrees of success) to avoid injuring people merely for what they say. We've learned the hard way that sunlight is the best disinfectant. It's far better for the country to have these vermin spewing their garbage out in the open so we can keep track of where and how numerous they are, we can judge them fairly and make sure it's not just hyperbole and misunderstanding, they can discover how unpopular their views are, and to the extent that even a lot of people we consider bad really do want to be liked they have the opportunity to reform. If we persecute them they'll go into hiding so we won't know how bad they're getting, they'll talk only among themselves, get no feedback, and possibly work themselves into a frenzy.

We try even harder to not persecute people simply for what they believe. For starters--and it's a really really good starter--you can't be positive you understand what someone believes by judging them on what they say. How many of us have been horribly misunderstood because of something we said in a moment of grief, anger, confusion, clumsy sarcasm, or just plain stupidity? Especially in a melting pot nation with a vast potential for cultural and linguistic misunderstanding?

Some of those skinheads may grow up to be bona fide Nazis. But most of them just like the gear, the symbology, belonging to a group, and "sticking it to the man." They may get whipped into a frenzy of violence by their angrier or more sincere leaders occasionally--as do those crazy European soccer fans--but wouldn't it be worse if we forced them underground so they never had to endure the judgment of their more rational neighbors?

In America you have to make some fairly concrete and realistic plans to act on the hatred you express in order to be prosecuted for conspiracy. You have to provide a group of some size with clear and present guidance toward violence to be prosecuted for inciting a riot. In order to be prosecuted for advocating the overthrow of the government by force you have to make such a spectacle of yourself and be so charismatic that this particular law is rarely enforced. The threshold for prosecution for the new touchy-feely Nanny State crime of "hate speech" is admittedly much lower, but then so is the punishment; it's not likely to ruin anyone's life.

The cure for fascism is not reverse fascism, as we're learning in several of the world's saddest places. Deep in the hearts of most haters there is a small kernel of genuine injury they are trying to heal, deny, endure, displace, share, deflect, or avenge. Silencing them so it continues to fester is not going to help anybody. And punishing people who haven't quite done anything because we're afraid they might do something only diminishes ourselves. We're better than that.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It is not a crime to be a Nazi or have a belief. It is not a crime to freely promote your belief. It is not a crime to believe in racism and discrimination. It is not a crime to promote discrimination.

It is a crime to discriminate in hiring employees and serving customers.

It is however not a crime to discriminate in regular daily life. You cannot arrest somebody just for joining and participating in an organization that has not participated in breaking any ethical laws.

That is because you are no different from them.
    You are a Nazi.

12. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Oh please. The claim that "if X is lawful, X is ethical" is just bollocks. You said it yourself.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Laws are created by a society; ethics are established in the same way by a society. And I see no reason why the two must always agree, and certainly not from one society to the next!

Baron Max

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

I agree that neo-Nazis should be hunted like real ones. Nipping terror in the bud so to speak. Violent racists should be killed in my view. No one accidentally becomes a Nazi sympathizer.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, can we do the same for murderers, rapists, armed robbers, terrorists, serial killers, etc, AND those who sympathize with them? ...if we even think that someone might be a violent individual or is sympathetic to their cause, let's hunt 'em down and kill 'em, huh?

Wow! The hunting license sales would be enormous, wouldn't they?

Baron Max

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

Criminals aren't the same. I'm talking about an organized group that makes a religion out of violent hatred of other people simply because of their race. A drunk that holds up a gas station does not fit into same category.

17. RickyH Valued Senior Member

It's just a joke, but then again everyone is too literal these days. You guys go ahead and fight out ethics for skin heads, but if they had the chance they'd have been killing jews too.

By the way, they're a gang and in America, it's illegal to be a part of any gang, and punishable by law. It's also illegal for you to be standing in a group of 4 people with the same color shirts, when the next guy walks up he will get a ticket, and maybe go to jail. I wonder if that counts for skins, since they don't have any real gang colors other then a flag.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  18. John99 Banned Banned

there is allways that possibility in Europe though.