some school help.....

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by riku_124, Sep 19, 2006.

1. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

i may have put this thread in the wrong area earlier today so i think ive found that it should have gone here.

I am doing a report on stalin, and we are supposed to use outside news sorces from other countries. Could someone please give me a list of major news networks websights from other countries so that i know where i can look for my Model U.N class. Any one who can help me id be greatful.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i posted the same thing in the other thread this is from a russian perspective

http://www.stel.ru/stalin/
    i hope this helps, sorry if it doesnt

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Unfortunately I don't know which country you live in so I don't know which are "other countries" to you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Both you and your class sound American so I'll go with that.

The Times of London at www.timesonline.co.uk is one of the world's most respected newspapers. Moscow's Pravda at english.pravda.ru/ is no longer an organ of the communist party. service.spiegel.de/cache/international/ will give you an English version of Der Spiegel, Germany's answer to Time magazine. Al-Jazeera has a website at english.aljazeera.net/ -- the pan-Arab TV network seems to try its best to be impartial and has won grudging respect from many Western critics. You can get a weekly English summary of L'Osservatore Romano at www.Vatican.va/news_services/or/or_eng/index.html .

Go to OnlineNewspapers.com for a huge worldwide list of papers with online editions. A great many of them will show English versions. Even Zambia has several.

This sounds like a fun assignment. Be sure and tell us some of the interesting things you pick up.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

well its not one assigment its the idea of using other sorces then jsut the USA version of things to get different persepctives from different countries. so for the stalin project itself, im ognna just use the information givin to us to tel lwhy i think stalin is a good leader. but after this, il lbe using all these websights (hopefully) to get the information i need.

8. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

seems like you have already made up your mind before you have read any of the articles

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hey! The US is now caring about what the world thinks!? Great! That's an improvement in the school system.

It's unfortunate that they still don't invest enough in teaching some spelling...

10. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

hehe, well the teacher gave us some documents ot use, and said we cna use the internet if we want, because were ognna have to learn to use outside sources later in the year.We could choose between if he was a good leader or if he wasent.

Truthseaker, saddly, my model UN class is a elctive, only about 40 students a year take model UN 1 and only 20 take model UN2.

OH! and i finished the ruft draft of the essay, tel lme what u htink guys

Why Stalin was a good leader
    From the information given to me I believe Stalin was a good leader. The information from the ten documents has much information about his leadership, his planning and also the way he thought.
    First of all, he had raised industrialization output of the industrialization increased by 5.8 times. That is a very significant number in my opinion. For example, if the USSR had a output of 35.4 million tons of coal, then with a educated guess you could say that the output was soon, 175 million tons. The amount of output, made by the USSR made them the first in industrialization in Europe, and 2nd in the world.
    Another thing Stalin did was eliminate the upper, middle and lower class. ( the peasants, and the kulaks) Also, many more people had jobs, because the industrial workers had tripled in-between the beginning and end of Stalin's two five year plans. Because of the more people, and the more output they were doing in the USSR, the workers worked, much more efficiently. Stalin made farm lands, bigger and mass produced certain vegetables, so more would be made in a bigger area, then a verity would have. So Stalin made more food production, so there would be more food for people to eat.
    Stalin had made the USSR a super power in the world. He ruled equally, to everyone just the same. Also, he made phenomenal motivational speeches. He was able to bring the USSR together to become the super power they were, by speaking about how they would be beaten into submission if they didn't catch up with the world. Stalin had many plans to meet his goals, he had made his 5 year plan to get industrialization up.
    In conclusion, Stalin was a good leader, because he took the USSR from falling behind, to being second in the world! He had raised industrial jobs by three times. Also, he raised the out put on industrialized materials by five times. What do you think, do you think Stalin was a good leader?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, absolutely not. Stalin was one of the worst leaders the planet has ever known. He did help defeat Hitler, but he also murdered perhaps 30 million people. Also 6-8 million Russians died in the famine of 1932-33 as a result of forced collectivization.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Let's not shotgun the poor guy. How about a more narrow focus.
    Why do you believe this is a good thing? It is not proper to say something like that without explaining it. Throughout history, the middle class has been the engine of growth and prosperity. Nations like ancient Greece with, for all practical purposes, only an upper and lower class produced thinkers but no doers. Post-Englightenment Europe and America, with their burgeoning middle classes, produced inventors and innovators.

In addition, you seem to be implying that Stalin eliminated the lower class. Are you sure that is correct? The life of the workers in the Soviet Union may have been somewhat better than that of the peasants and kulaks, but it was by no stretch of the imagination a middle-class life. My aunt and her husband emigrated to the USSR in the mid-1930s. She was not there during the mass starvation that Spider reports, but she said there were shortages of everything from meat to clothing to heat in the frigid Russian winters.

In addition, freedom of speech was not tolerated. Her husband was imprisoned for complaining about the working conditions in his factory, and he was never released. He died in prison and she came back to America with the daughter who was born there, glad to still be an American citizen so she was allowed to make the move.

Do you know that Stalin originally allied with Hitler? That the USSR was originally on the side of the Axis powers? Someone else among us who is a better scholar of that era can explain to you in more detail what happened, but to put it succinctly, Stalin betrayed Hitler.

Stalin did not make the USSR second in the world. You are probably looking at statistics on the GDP (gross domestic product--the total value of goods and services produced) of the whole country. Well sure, the USSR had a huge population so it had a huge economy, second only to the USA. But what matters is per capita GDP (the goods and services divided by the number of people, a measure of the prosperity of the average person). You need to either look up that number or do the easy arithmetic and calculate it yourself. I believe you will find that the people of the USSR were nowhere near as prosperous as those of Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Japan or Argentina.

13. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

The way i had to do the project, is based on what information i was givin or looked up,eather defend why he ws a good leader, or say why he wasent a hgood leader, and i was able to write more about why he was a god leader, if it was based on my opinion, not what thei nfromation provided me,
    he had godd ideas, he just when around how to follow through with those gaols wrong if i ever have to we should make a thread of my essays, so you can shoot me down whenever you guys want, i would enjoy that, would you guys like that? help me learn fro mmy mistakes, i wanna write better

tell me about the essay thread if u want one.

and i htink hitler had good ideas he jsut ofllowed through wrong, he had the secret police kil lepopel i nthere sleep, he had peopel turutred to say what he wanted in certin trials, there was the ujranin famine that killed i bleive 7 million poeple, bases on the ocllective famring he had statred, and because he had taken the kulaks ( upper class farmers) land they sabatozed, poisend, and burned whatever thyey could. it was a terrible terrible time to ive in the ussr, and stlai nwas not a good leader, it was jsut easier to word why he was good, rather then bad, if it was up to me, i would have done both.

and fraggle, i know that but it was based on documents my teacher gave me, i could ook up new information if i wanted to, but i htought it was mroei mportant to get the essay itself done, and get websights form this great websight, for the next essay.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well, it's a start!

15. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

ya

i su[[ose, i turned it in to the teacher today. Hopee fully ill have a grade on it by tomorrow, ill post my grade for you all to see, if she grades it, its only the ruft draft.

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The problem with Stalin and communism is that it does not take into account the proper allocation of resources.

riku, if you put that in your essay, you gotta quote or paraphrase me...

17. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

i cant use you, becuase you arent considered a "valid research tool" or else hell, id use this websight and ace the class, but i can use the links im sent form this site, so ill still do better then most of hte people in the class

18. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

what subject is the report in, because in history im sure thats its best to put forward a balanced argument

19. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

Model United Nations, the way she explained the project we have to eather A. defend him ( say why hes a good leader)
    or B. persacute him ( tell why he was a bad leader)

20. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

so is it a debate then?

21. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

no its jsut out opnion basedon some USSR documents we were givin, ill try to copy them to my computer if i can.

OMG i jsut got in trouble for using a flash drive to save a CNN report to print out at home.
    What kinda school yells at you for saving something school related to a flash drive so you cant print it out at home?

they htought i was gonna put a viris on the ocmputer, i woulda never though of doing that if they didint say soemthing.......

heh also i was adding on to my stalin report.......

22. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

shame, a debate would be more fun, seems like you americans get off easy

23. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

i wish it was a debate, we havent had adebate in a class since 8th grade, but isnce this is model UN we will probably discuss why we think what we think, and gert different opinions, im hoping its liek a smaller, younger sci forums. ( not that your old, jsut that most of you are out of colalge and know things i dont yet)