Robert Newman's History of Oil

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Sep 17, 2006.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I was going to watch the video right now until I noticed it is 45 minutes long.

With that said, I will watch it later tonight.

Before watching it, I would like to say that I believe that the US (among other countries) have become slaves to the oil industry.

As much as I think Jimmy Carter was (and is) a twat, I agree with what he said in reponse to the "oil shock" in the 70s: If it happens again, we would have to go to war. I am not advocating war, but how I interpret the statement is that in order to keep our current lifestyle, war is the only option. How badly do we want to keep our lives the way they are? I am sure it's enough to try keeping us on top, or near the top.

So, I think we need to bust our asses to end the coming "oil crisis." I truely believe, that in my lifetime, we are going to price ourselves out of the oil market.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Forty-five minutes??? I've said it before and I'll say it again: Didn't you kids have to learn how to do reports when you were in school? The whole point of a forum is to use your own intellect and communication skills to give your friends--who also have superior intellects and outstanding communication skills--a dense, concise abstract of the points you've read or heard, without all the filler that the general public requires. Not to make every single one of us read or watch the whole frelling thing!

Tell us about it, please. We trust you to get it right.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That is what those two lines are.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Newman has looked at the last one hundred years of history from the sole perspective of oil. He's drawn a link between events at different points of World War 1 and 2 and related how the pursuit of oil has affected foreign policy during and after the wars, both for the British and the Americans.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sam, sociologists and historians can draw false conclusions from most anything ...and they do it regularly. It's just one more historian trying to make a buck by writing a fuckin' book ...or hoping for tenure at some university. Nothing more, Sam ...don't make a big deal about ONE MAN'S opinion .....even if it fits perfectly into your scheme of world politics. Do a little thinking of your own.

By the way, just remember, if it weren't for the American oil companies, there'd be no fuckin' oil being pumped out of the Mid-East deserts ....'cause those fuckin' people would still be liviin' in mud huts and driving donkey carts!

Baron Max

10. Roman Banned Banned

They still are in mud huts and donkey carts, except now they're getting cluster bombed.

11. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I've seen this live on stage, last year. The guy just isn't funny anymore.
    You know that fluid that runs down the cracks in the pavement after a dog has relieved himself? Thats your mum that is!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You really should watch it before pontificating.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sorry, Sam, I don't know what the fuck "pontificating" is! But it doesn't matter, Sam, once again you're trying to believe something that's most probably someone's failed attempt at writing a book for tenure or such.

Please, Sam, please .....quit believing all the bullshit you read or find on the Internet! If you keep that up, you're going to find yourself failing at your major field of study!!

Baron Max

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I do believe you are a troll Mr Max.

I'm going to jettison you.