Blogs.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by outlandish, Sep 16, 2006.

1. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

I just don't get it. I don't get how the inane ramblings of a million internet saddos could all of a sudden become de rigueur.
    Do these people actually believe that we want to know about their humdrum lives?
    Do we really care what's happening to billy bob in hicksville??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Why on earth am I reading this thread?

*wanders off*

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Maybe. Maybe not.
    It's hard to say without reading Billy Bob's blog if it's worth reading by strangers or not.

However. Do you, perchance, believe that the blog might just be of slightly more interest to Billy Bob's friends and relatives and such?
    Little bit?

Hmmm.
    A mystery to ponder...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

so you're still around.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

well yes, but why the need to post on the net?
    what ever happend to phoning friends/rels?

"jee woody, t'day when pa and cuzin jimmy got back from the klan meetin' they took me to the barn and done make me squeal like a piggy"

PS why the hell can I not do smileys??

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Phoning friends and relatives is much less convenient. Haven't you noticed? I'm sure you use e-mail more often than the phone, like all of us. It's especially less convenient if you want to involve several people in the discourse. Sure you can set up a conference call but try getting them all together at the same time on the same day.

Some blogs are well-written and are intended for and read by a wider audience. Think of them as small-market op-eds.

What surprises me is the many blogs that clearly are written for friends and family but are set up as public. As an old-timer I find the younger generation's lackadaisical attitude toward privacy rather unnerving.

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Nope. Afraid not.
    You're on drugs or something. I am merely the ghost in the machine.

Yeah. Like Fraggle says.
    See. It's like this. Why bother to phone everyone you know with this or that when you can instead post it to your blog and anyone who cares can log in and see for themselves.

Plus, they have the choice of whether they're interested in the business of your day enough to check your blog. You don't have to intrude it into their lives with the vague and unspoken dread that they just don't give a shit but are smiling and nodding because they're too weak to tell you to shut the fuck up.

See. I told you you were on drugs. You can do smileys just fine.

Their is an anonymity and inherent privacy in being just one of millions. A face in a crowd.

10. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

vertie the smiley I did was manual. I can't use the menu on the right.

11. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Nearly everyone thinks they have a book in them and nearly everyone imagines they are interesting.

Thus a blog is the perfect way of them addressing their 'fans'.

Fans which they would have but for the lack of an introduction.

Blog gives them an introduction.

12. John99 Banned Banned

So dont read them boy wonder.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I wonder if those bloggers realize that what they're posting will be available to most anyone and everyone .....for all of eternity ...maybe longer? Future employers? Present employers? Co-workers? Possible life-mates? Children and grandchildren? New friends?

Baron Max

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Blogs certainly epitomise the phenomenon of "supply without demand".

Is billy bob in hicksville really the stereotypical blogger?
    I don't think so, I wish, that almost would be interesting.
    It would kind of make sense that we should be given an insight into the day to day lives of those detached from the global information loop, living old fashioned lifestyles in the country.
    Maybe go a step further and get amish or menanite blogs, this I could understand.
    Unfortunately it's mostly just douchebag coffee connoisseurs from the cities/suburbs whose dull predictable lives we're already way way too familiar with.
    Losers we went to school with, whose thoughts and opinions weren't even worth standing still temporarily for, or being moderately polite about enduring, in real life.
    But now we supposedly want to go to the trouble of seeking out their thoughts and opinions and anecdotes on the internet, to read for our leisure.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Why would the be acailable forever, can't you take it down?

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Nope, it's recorded out there in never-never land ....forever, and maybe longer! After we're all dead and gone, some aliens from outer space might land here and read the shit .....and see what damned idiots humans were ....and didn't even know they were being idiots! ....LOL!

Baron Max

17. John99 Banned Banned

ha, i thought you meant by cacheing or some other net history sight i seen recently.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What??? Surely you don't think that someone goes around the INternet erasing things that he thinks are outdated or not of value anymore???? Please tell me that you don't think that.

And if you don't think that, then where do you think all those "things" go?

Baron Max