Telemarketing? Fraud??...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by 420Joey, Sep 16, 2006.

1. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I work for a company that is an authorized partner of bellsouth. Everybody misrepresents themselves and the manager pressures us to lie to the customers, and actually forces us to generate bill irregularities or else were fired. We do several things;

We only call and sell things to buisneses. No residential.

A) We tell them that were going to reduce the dsl/pri bill. We tell them that were faxing them a letter of authorization and they sign it and what there actually doing is giving us permission to subscribe them a new dsl account under a promotional price. So to recieve the promotional price, they have to cancel there other account unless they want to get billed for two.

B) We switch lines to any place ranging from small buisnesses to cooperations. We manipulate the bellsouth promotions by providing false bill summaries/statements, and fake paperwork. Than we tell the buisnesses that we will give them a free ad in our yellow book and white book listing and we insure them that we will beat there telephone providers rate and we tell them that were going to give them credit (in welcome-back rewards money)

They pay me really good and I get really good comission because I'm really good at this type of thing. I'm a team manager. We get customers that have to end up paying another 15,000 because they were tricked into subscribing for another pri or dsx/whatever.

I know it's illegeal because when bellsouth representitves come in, we change our pitch, and say that were ****** communications, an authorized silver partner of bellsouth.

The managers like an heroien addict. And it's weird but he's good at what he does the money generated from the unethical practice allowed him to relocate in a big building with like 5 floors.

He screams alot. Has no labor law posters posted on the walls and we dont pay taxes. He pays us our weekly check sort-of under the table. Anyways I dont wan't to lose my job because the pay is good but I dont want to go to jail - you guys think I should quit? or tell the police or other authorities about this guy??

Think I can get them in trouble? The manager fires people if they dont have a certain quota of appointments/or deals (which changes as he does more heroien and roxies) and he just is unprofessional. He almost hit a kid before, beat his fist on the kids desk, and started making fun of him saying that he was a sissy and that he'd kick his ass.

Anyway is there a way I can get them in trouble without getting my self in trouble? Im looking into another job at a different communications company I dont want to leave this place because its so easy but I will If I gotta.

We use automatic dialers and each agent dials atleast 3000+ calls in one buisness day and we have over 20 agents and like 20 more outside reps.
    Than we have another floor dedicated to AT&T and another one for MCI. The place of buisness eventually finds out that they've been tricked when they see the bill so they ussually call bellsouth. And they cancel it. As soon as there leaving bellsouth, we call them on behalf of AT&T or MCI and try to switch them to us.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Telemarketing on the whole seems to be flooded by scammers. I had something similar occur when I signed up for cable, I ended up with a company that was an "authorized partner" of a mobile company telling me that they were sending me a free mobile phone. Considering I'd only had the landline functional for a week, it suprised me just how quick my new number had circulated to these mobile firms.

None the less I was after a phone so took the offer (which I shouldn't have as doing so proved that "cold calling" worked. None the less, the following weeks I gained phonecalls from the same company with slightly different offers, however again they were trying to send me more mobile phones. I argued for hours with one sales person (who was indian) about why I didn't need another mobile since if the phone was delivered it was automatically connected. In the end I actually pulled my landline phone out of the wall and promptly stomped on it.

(I had to destroy the phone or friends and family would of complained about it not being plugged in, easier to say it's broken.)

What you could do in your situtation is take notes of whats going on, obviously eventually the number of complaints directed at such telesellers will eventually filter through to both the "Partner" and the watchdog groups, who obviously would be happy to have information regarding the operation of such "Scam" setups.

Otherwise if you don't feel up to doing the right thing, get looking for a new job as soon as possible as that one might be quick money for now but there is no future in it (Not a career choice).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think those three sentences say a lot more about you, personally, than it does about telemarketing or the companies that are involved.

Apparently some of us have some integrity, and some don't.

Baron Max

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Yeah but it's human nature to lie, cheat, steal etc .......... aint it?

9. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  10. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

there you go again...standing on your authority again, ron.

eventually, someone will cut your nose off for this kind of behavior.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yes, it is, Nick. And you'll notice that he's doing it with apparent happiness at the money he's making .....yet, at the same time, he's obviously lying about his worry that it's illegal!! ....LOL!

Nick, just keep lookin' around at humans in action, and you'll come to see that I'm much more correct than wrong!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

He's entitled to express his opinions, isn't he?

And, see, ....with that very post, you've substantiated Ron's ideas about human nature AND their propensity for punishment for wrongdoing!

Baron Max

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I suggest you stop being the retard that you are, and type in the actual name. And do so all over the internet so everybody knows this company. Report them to the BBB, State Attorney, and whoever else you can think of. This is fraud, and is a violation of the law, and comsumer rights.
    People are getting ripped off. There are alot of telemarketing companies that do this. Make sure you do whatever it takes to get an investigation implemented, and to spread the news across as many places as possible.

There are many telecom agencies that commit pure fraud.
    TAG and PRC are 2 of the biggest most fraudulent companies.
    So are major corporations that operate their telecom overseas. They are exremely fraudulent.

14. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I'll smoke a blunt laced with ammonia and ash it in your mothers eye.

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Your mother is the blunt of marijuana and she smells like ammonia. Cancer breath. HAHAHAHA!!!!

16. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Wait a minute.
    Tag is a fraudelent company?? How?? I was going to work there too.... Cool Skill Reply Back.....

But look... this guy is smart... he's a con artist but even though it feels illegeal, we trick the customer into signing contracts and everything.... we say its something else (A letter of authorization) but it clearly states on the letter of authorization whats going to happen (Like, the dsl-reduction scam - it clearly states on the letter of authorization that this promotional price is just for new customers) but they sign and fax it back to us anyways. and we generate mad profit. the manager assures us that what we are doing is legal even though it's unethical.

The guy even cons his agents. It's crazy. I just sold two pri's (legit way) they were relocating in a new location and I got it for them cheaper than what they were paying with axel or whatever. Anyway the equiptment costed about $13,000 so you'd assume i'd make a big profit. But he conned me and only said it was for 8 lines, and all he gave me was a 50 dollar comission.

My girlfriend also works with me. And she provided this buisness that made commercials for rooms to go with like 15 full featured pri/t1's. Her comission will be like 4,000 when it closes so I want to stay untill sh e gets that than I'll leave.

I'm planning on telling Bellsouth about the opertation thats going on. The manager that runs this has an extensive criminal record (from beating his kids, getting caught with hydrocodiene, etc.) and it's weird.

What will BBB do?

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

TAG is a call center for providing customer service and tech support.
    I worked for them for about 2 weeks just to get the training on Hughs Satellite PC systems for Dirct PC which is like Direct TV, but for satellite internet instead of satellite cable.

They require workers to lie to customers about who they are. They cannot say they work for TAG. This is fraud. You have to tell them you work for Bell South, E Trade, Gateway, or whatever section your in. One of the individuals that worked for Compaq before they moved to India, ended up in Bell South. Jason Johnson. I do not know the terms in which he departed the company.

They require workers to lie about their location. The workers are prohibited from saying they are in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This is fraud.

The BBB regulates fraudulent business practices in the united states. Bosses ripping off employees. Businesses ripping off customers. BBB lists legitimate businesses. If a business is listed with the BBB, it is usually trustworthy. Unfortunately, the BBB has some illegitimate busninesses on their list simply because they are so large and influencial.

18. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

....How much did you get payed at Tag?
    Damn I thought it was legit.

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The wages went down significantly. They used to start you off at $9 for the first three months, and raise you to $12.00. Then there was a 50cent raise every 6 months or so. Before 911, the wage system was already dropping. After 911, it got even worse. I worked there the week before 911, and the week of 911. I got fired for refusing to lie to customers about who I work for. I forgot to mention that the used to give a free computer to everybody that worked there for a year, and a free turkey to the entire staff of hundreds every thanksgiving.

Alot of people work there though. Even from down here in Liberty city we were driving all the way up.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Telus and Rogers do similar things. Gosh, that kind of thing is standard accross industries!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:bugeye:

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Everybody has to choose their own compromise between integrity and prosperity. We all say that if we found ourselves in Joey's situation we would immediately contact the authorities. Tell me about it when you actually have the experience.

"I just need enough money to get back on my feet, I'll blow the whistle in a couple of weeks." "These other people are all my friends now, I don't want to be responsible for them being unemployed." "The customers are idiots, how can you blame somebody for taking advantage of them?" "The big corporations do it all the time and they have friends in the government who just let them get away with it, so why can't the little guy get some of that action?" "The police will hassle me almost as much as him or maybe worse because he has a good lawyer, I remember what they put my sister through when reported the guy who tried to rape her." "He'll get away with it in the end, but I'll be out of a job." "Nobody likes a snitch."

The facts are that if you try to get somebody busted for doing something that is merely illegal and not downright evil like murder: you will spend a lot of time talking to the police and other authorities; you will probably be harrassed to a certain extent to make sure you're not just the guy's enemy trying to get him in trouble; the other employees know what's going on and most of them will hate you for it; he might have a friend in the government who will let him get away with it; even if he doesn't the system doesn't work even close to perfectly so he might get away with it anyway; it does seem like the customers who fall for this are kind of dumb. And last but not least it's really true that nobody likes a snitch; you won't get positive feedback for this from anybody except your dog, the district attorney and maybe your mom--if she hasn't been a beneficiary of that generous salary.

It's been said that life in America is a constant exercise in learning how to beat the system. Our welfare laws reward the cheaters instead of the needers. Our tax laws beg us to see what we can get away with. Our traffic laws are nothing but revenue generation devices for bloated municipal governments. The War on Drugs is just a reviled nanny to hide from for a major portion of the population. The draft--which you lucky kids don't have to deal with--was a game to see who could make the right moves to get a deferment. Licensing and permitting bureaucrats serve the applicants who know how to serve them.

And that's just the government! Private enterprises play their own games. You can't try these clothes on so you buy two in different sizes and return the one that doesn't fit right. They'll make you wait at the cashier for ten minutes while they check the price on the last item of its kind in the store, so you peel the price tag off of a vaguely similar product and hope it's close. You can't get the cable channel you want without paying for a whole tier of crap you'll never watch. They charge you a $5 "handling fee" to buy a concert ticket on the internet and another $5 "convenience fee" to stand in line and pick it up at the box office.

One could say that this phone company is merely another test to see if customers are smart enough to beat the system. Obviously a bunch of people are not, or Joe and his friends wouldn't be making so much money. One could say that in that case they really need to undergo these little tests to make them smarter.

Joey, you should quit this job as soon as you can reasonably survive without it. If you don't it will haunt you for the rest of your life. If it doesn't do that, it will be because you turn into a person you don't want to become. Just because this kind of crap goes on all over America every day doesn't mean that you have to be part of it.

As for calling the authorities, that's a decision you'll have to make after careful consideration. I'm surprised that a customer hasn't already complained, they're the ones who are being taken advantage of.

It's quite possible that some customers already have complained and that the appropriate agency is quietly building up a case so they can nail these guys. You might want to think about that. When they come storming in with their badges and perhaps even guns they're going to figure that everyone who works there is in on it. Do you want to be there when that happens?

22. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Good post, Fraggle.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Except if I would level that kind of criticism at american society I would be an american hater.