Best Beer?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by phonetic, Sep 16, 2006.

1. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

What is the best beer?

There are 3 categories to choose from here. In exactly 7 days, I will count the votes for all the beers, add them together and declare the true champions.

The categories are as follows: Lager
    Specialty Beers (e.g. white beer, funny flavours)
    Dark Beer/Ale

I couldn't give a flying fuck if I've made a mess of the categories. Those as your choices and they're not changing. I'll start the ball rolling. Since I'm wankered on Beck's, the first choice is obvious.

Lager: Beck's
    It tastes lovely, it's smooth, it's lovely, I like the name, etc.
    Specialty Beers: Hoegaarden White Beer
    Mmmmm, what more can I say. 2 beer buzz on this stuff is kind of like champagne, but it's not. I always feel happy and yes, it's lovely.
    Dark Beer/Ale: Umm, Guinness? (I hate the stuff, personally, but go on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)
    First thing that came to my head. It is a meal after all.

Try to keep some order. e.g. don't go off on a religious tangent, try to stick to the same layout and most of all get the point across that the beer you drink is lovely and worth trying. Tell us why you picked what you picked.

I'm on the stella now, sadly

Ran out of beck's.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

My favorites.

White beer - Hoegaarden
    Dark - I'm not very experienced here but I do love Guinness.
    Lager - Peroni Gran Riserva.

I recently got into Leffe Blond and quite like it so it gets a mention.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Best Dark beer-- Gonzo Imperial Porter by Flying Dog Breweries
    This is one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. It's very chocolately and malty while at the same time being very hoppy and somewhat bitter. I am totally and completely in love with this beer, and buy it frequently (there is a store close to me that still has it in stock

)
    BTW- my seocond fav to Gonzo is Bellhaven scottish ale-- preferably on draft

Best specialty beer--- this category is too ambiguous. Can you narrow it down?
    My first choice for "specialty beer" would be Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre. I chose it as a "speciality beer"l beer because I absolutely despise hefeweizens- but oddly enough, this beer posseses a weird layer of complex flavors that makes it not only drinkable, but it actually tastes pretty darn good.

Best Lager---Depot Street Loose Caboose Lager-- I had it once at a beer festival-- very yummy.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i dont like any but when im drunk enough i dont really care what im drinking

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

"Best" and "beer" don't belong in the same sentence.

- N

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Explain

10. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

u shold tri db or tui its great apart from straight jack d

11. valich Registered Senior Member

the one you can drink the most, feel the best afterwards, without waking up with any bad side affects or a hangover: Japanese beer like Korin or European Kronenberg.

12. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes you did make a mess of the categories. You must be a fellow American to have wasted an entire category on lager, most American brands of which are nothing more than mouse pee.

I vote for stout and porter. The American microbreweries of the Pacific Northwest do a stunning job with such brands as Downtown Brown, which is slowly spreading across the country. I think Guinness Stout is highly overrated but I'll take it over the generic taste of Coors and Corona lagers any day--beer for naughty middle schoolers.

14. Roman Banned Banned

For the price, you can't beat malt liquor.

15. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

Why anyone would drink beer when cider (English cider, that is) is available is beyond me. There's just no competition.

16. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Because it tastes like and resembles urine?
    I like cider now and again, but my days of drinking excessive amounts of it are over.
    Ye Olde English and strongbow are alright. Woodpecker is fucking wrong.

The summer of 2003 was a beauty. Whichever cider was on offer - 50% extra free, BOGOF, etc - we'd purchase and prepare.

The game: Cider Challenge
    The objective: Beat the previous speed record for downing 1 pint (and getting pissed)

Fond memories. The record was sub 2 seconds towards the end of summer.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Also helps to have a funnel. Those things are wrong!

18. Roman Banned Banned

That's cool.

In the states, for cheap and strong we buy malt liquor. It's around 7% alcohol, and comes in bottles of 40 oz. The game we play is Edward Fortyhands (or 80 oz to Freedom), where the two forties are ducktaped to your hands. You have to finish the forties to take them off, or you lose. You also have to finish the forties so you can take a piss.

19. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I usually drink stella, but who cares, when was beer meant to be consumed for the taste?

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I couldn't suggest any, purely because if the Beer/Ale's on tap and the bartenders a little lapse in either cleaning the pipes with cleaning fluid or cleaning the pipes of the cleaning fluid, the actual booze can taste "Stale".

For instance a pint of Abbots from a well clean and cooled tap coming from a fresh barrel is far nice than a pint of Abbots from a poorly cleaned, uncooled barrel with the dregs just before change. One will go down well, the other will come up better.

21. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

We all know the worst beers- American beers

22. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I'm not an American, thankfully

I s'pose I was referring to european lager.

Agreed. American lager is fizzy water with a hint of piss. Not worth the effort.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member