Recognize Yourself Here?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by goofyfish, Feb 14, 2002.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

This is a fascinating article about how real people make choices about the money they spend...the little "irrationalities" that guide our economic lives... how we compartmentalize, take elements other than economics into the equation and how we view money spent vs. money we haven't spent yet.

I guess it sheds a little light on why some of us (ok, me) will think nothing of plunking down 4 bucks for a Starbucks coffee, yet consider it a major victory when we save a nickel a gallon on gas.

Peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. esp Registered Senior Member

Money.
    Hmm. I'm sure I've heard that word before.

Oh yes!
    It's that stuff that's all gone from my bank account in direct debits as soon as it's paid in.

Generally speaking, getting more money doesn't leave one better off, as liqidity increases, so does lifestyle adapt.

New car, caviar, four star, daydream;
    Think I'll buy me a football team.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ssivakami Registered Senior Member

Nice article.

Dont irrationalities affect all aspects of our lives ? Food, romance, careers .......

- Sivakami.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sidvicous Registered Member

Stabucks bites it. I do buy a lot of coffee every day and still try to save on gas. Possibly this is a parental influence. Th e trivialities that do govern our lives are feed by the capitalist system creating a desire to presue materialistic possesions house,car, football team. We feed the system and it feeds us.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Money! People do the most crazy things to get more money and make sure they keep a hold of it.

Guess I act a little different in this. After the necessarry bills are paid and made sure there is enough food for son and cats, I spend it on things we just want. No saving money here. I'm not the kind who saves and don't have a car to spend it on.

Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today...
    Share it fairly, that's the way...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Wish people would change their attitude concerning money...

My parents are exactly the example of people who save their money and spend it with caution. Only on things they really need, not for fun or just spending it on Music or whatever. Perhaps that's why I have a total different attitude in this. Don't care for expensive material furniture or so. Am not material in any way. There are much more important things in life.

Money is a necessarry evil! You need it to survive...

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

It is indeed an interesting article. I wonder if writing it means the author will change his spending habits. Maybe not. It's easier to be rational about something if we see it in others. As for me, since I'm paying through the nose for my uni course and accommodation, I'm left with only about $40/week spending money, and that goes on food.

10. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Okay, I only shop discout, no cell phones, pagers, or anything else "new". Wait, does cable count? And I just got it. No phone features, ie *69, call waiting, etc... Im a total cheapie, house is decorated in garage sale rejects. Then why is it I will sell my right eye for some Taco Bell???? I wont think twice about plunkin down 20 bucks at Taco Bell or Micky D's but Im a total cheapo when it comes to other things. Very strange???

11. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

Marketing is quite amazing