how does one take a stingray in the CHEST?!?!

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by weed_eater_guy, Sep 10, 2006.

1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray

According to this (it's the wikipedia article regarding stingrays), stingrays are fairly docile creatures that divers can even feed. The usual forms of a singray attacking are usually when one comes in contact with the stinger, which basically seeps venom into your system on contact, but one can be stabbed with the singer if, say, someone steps on it and it happens to swing the stinger straight up and your weight goes on to push the stinger in.

Now, how on earth does one take a stinger TO THE CHEST as, say, Steve Irwin did? I mean, this thing doesn't just spin 180 degrees and stab you, it stings defensively like a bee. What was Steve's chest doing near this thing?

And please, spare the perversion, I've heard enough already, i'm simply curious.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Ask steve irwins camera man

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

weed_eater_guy , he was diving and parallel to the bottom and swam over the ray from behind, and no it doesn't take your weight to drive the stinger in, and the stinger is really more like a serrated knife at the end of a whip, and is designed to penetrate the skin of a shark the sting rays most prevalent predator, there is power, muscle, and speed behind the strike from a ray, that is how it defends itself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Anyone can guess what provoked the Stingray to nail Mr. Irwin. Maybe the video can show what happened and maybe his cameraman knows too. But will the rest of us ever know for sure? Right now, your guess is as good as mine until the true facts of the Stingray attack that killed Mr. Irwin are made known

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. RickyH Valued Senior Member

The police made an official statement saying the sting ray was not provoked. I don't think he provoked them either though. Becuase steve irwin would have avoided it and saw it comming if he knew it was gonna attack.

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

How well does the ribcage protect vital organs against pointy objects? I'm guessing -as per the reports- the stingray barb totally missed the rib and scored a nasty direct hit in his heart.
    It would be good to know the percentage of times arbitrary strikes to the same area would result in a mortal wound (IE- if it was for more common for the barb to stop at the person's ribcage, or possibly puncture a lung).
    The best case scenario would be if the barb simply stopped at the rib only causing a flesh-wound to the muscle or tissue in that area- which would mean the victim's only problem would be envenomation (which is reported to be painful, but not commonly lethal http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic556.htm).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  10. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

with a pinch of salt?

11. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

i didn't think they wielded the stinger like that, i thought it was a solid thing, not a flexible tail. kinda makes sence that way, buffalo

12. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

i heard on tv.. *deep breath* that the chances of the stinger actually landing as it did are astronomical.