Why Smart People Suicide

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by android, Sep 7, 2006.

1. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Jon Nödtveidt is dead and the response to his suicide diagnoses why he did it. As an acquaintance of mine said, "I'm of higher than average intelligence -- two standard deviations. This society is not designed for people of higher intelligence. We see things the others don't, such as how inefficient or self-destructive the way this society works is. And since they don't see it, they crowd out our opinions and leave us with no voice. It's a lonely side of life."

For the child born with intelligence, the invisible world becomes clear: the connection between ideas and consequences both immediate and long term. This has to be trained by experience, but it emerges over time (one great lament of humanity is that it takes almost four decades for wisdom to emerge in most). Such a child will literally "see" things that do not exist but which will exist because he or she understands the connection between design (our thoughts, plans, goals) and their consequences.

The higher intelligence gives this person the ability to see multiple levels of consequence. Where a dumb person can realize that setting a blaze in a living room will burn the house down, and an average person will recognize the blaze may spread to a neighborhood, the reasonably above average person weighs the dryness of the season, the amount of loose timber in the neighborhood, prevailing winds and many other factors and can see how if the situation is right this fire could torch a large section of the surrounding city.

Isolation: Why Smart People Suicide

Now I'm depressed. I've observed this a lot however. Other than mallgoths, it's smart people who kill themselves. Idiots rule.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, consciousness can be painful. Higher consciousness even more so.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I'd guess that things have never been as good for smart people as they are now - they can find other people who share their interests over the Internet, possibly with levels of expertise near to their own. And the arts and sciences are blooming at such a rate that there's plenty of room for smart people at the cutting edges...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sderenzi Banned Banned

I myself am on antidepressants just so I don't end up committing suicide. They're working extremely well, and when I say "they" I mean Zoloft @ 100 MG. The actual fact is some suicide is based on mental instabilities, another time it might be depression or anxiety.. it's very hard to pinpoint exactly why. I can tell you the only reason I ever considered it (but don't now) is because I felt powerless, indeed helpless.

Now on Zoloft things are rocking along, also I have my therapist, whom initially I felt was a stupid fool, now I see he doesn't take everything so seriously as I do... ya see that's what I have to learn, to him everything is managable, or some things I was completely obsessed over don't even matter. It's strange to see someone care relatively little when you tell them something bothering you, then have them redirect it. Like I told him once I felt more depressed if I worked out then he asked "Are you sure about that" and I was thinking this Mofo, but then later I realized maybe I wasn't so sure.

8. Roman Banned Banned

I thought your depression problems were caused by social retardation, not some sort of 5% genius.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  9. sderenzi Banned Banned

Actually they administered psychological testing on me and found I wasn't retarded, even though sometimes I do LOL

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What's social retardation?

11. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Low E.Q.?

12. You'll no doubt forgive the patent obvious of the following comment: but precisely how smart is a person who takes their own life, exactly?

13. Have you ever been to the Isle of Man? If you had, you'd never have to ask that question again.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've been to the Island of Lesbian Vampires, does that count?

15. FallingSkyward How much is there to know? Registered Senior Member

'Tis the gift to be simple.

16. Do you have pictures?

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you're truly smart you'd realise that suicide means that you "lose" and "they" win. Therefore you shouldn't let them win, so you shouldn't give in even if you are depressed.

However there are many ways of losing (Death, Arrested, placed in a mental asylum) and not so many ways of winning, other than the stories of defeating absolute adversity by commitment or just pure stubborness.

18. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Of course, you could equally interpret it as the exact opposite. You, by killing yourself have "won," because you no longer have to deal with unnecessary pain, which ultimately means nothing.

Who's smarter? the person who's depressed all his life and kills himself when he's a teenager, or the other person who's depressed all of his life and lives out his entire tragic, painful life into his 80's simply because he does not want to make the "winner," a winner.

Other people do not matter. You are the only thing that matters. To be stubborn is to be a fool.

19. emmmm..... just off the top of my face here I guess I'd have to going with the answer being - the one who lives to die of old age.

Yup. Living. Y'can't whack it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Roman Banned Banned

He who breeds most wins.

21. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I dunno. My mother is a really smart person. She makes the average IQ of my family higher. She's quick, astute, and emotionally intelligent, but she's superficial.

She uses her intellect at the most immediate opportunity of pragmatism. She doesn't like to delve deeper. She doesn't like to think about underlying realities or mull about things, unless on a superficial level, like most women. She's spiritual and mystical. But I bet if she took an IQ test, she'd do very well. I guess she's like Tor in a lot of ways (I hate myself for saying that.)

And she's not depressed. Well. I guess she is. Nevermind.

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

My point was that "Suicide" is foolish, Fools do it for an easy escape however they neglect to understand the implications of their actions. The number of loved ones that never understand the true nature of "Why" they decided to take their own life, the psychological changes caused in them for their loss.

Suicide is in nature very selfishly motivated.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The major cause of suicide is depression. 30 to 70% of people who commit suicide suffer from depression or bipolar (manic-depressive) disorders.