The Great Nebula in Orion

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Feb 13, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Great Nebula in Orion
    Credit & Copyright: Robert Gendler
    Few astronomical sights excite the imagination like the nearby stellar nursery known as the Orion Nebula. The Nebula's glowing gas surrounds hot young stars at the edge of an immense interstellar molecular cloud only 1500 light-years away. The Great Nebula in Orion can be found with the unaided eye just below and to the left of the easily identifiable belt of three stars in the popular constellation Orion. The above image has been contrast balanced to bring out Orion's detail in spectacular fashion. Visible simultaneously are the bright stars of the Trapezium in Orion's heart, the sweeping lanes of dark dust that cross the center, the pervasive red glowing hydrogen gas, and the blue tinted dust that reflects the light of newborn stars. The whole Orion Nebula cloud complex, which includes the Horsehead Nebula, will slowly disperse over the next 100,000 years.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

Excellent Photograph Wet1,
    thanks...but how about starting a space photo thread?separately for photos...

bye!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

That's a good idea, zion. However, I have found that with a few photos in the thread the speed of downloads drop rather fast as the pictures are drawn on the screen.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hi Wet1,
    Will simply attatching Photos not work?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i mean we"ll just describe it and attatch the photo.

bye!

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I am open to other possibilities in posting pictures. I did try this back in the time of June and July by posting gif's, I found that a lot of people simply would not download the picture. Here is a post from that time which shows that it has been downloaded only 76 times. While that sounds like a lot, consisder the time factor and it becomes very few times that it was looked at.

http://www.sciforums.com/t2911/s/thread.html

While it is possible that it was a subject that lacked interest for most viewers, I tend to think that it is simular to long posts in that people will breeze through them or not read them at all.

I find that other posts that have open pictures tend to gather views over time. Some, of interest to others, have as much as 500 views or more. This is why I settled for this type of display of the pictures.

Is it that you have trouble in the display of the pictures or is it that you are tired of having to view them to find the comment? Or prehaps it is something else?