Where to get screws?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by alexb123, Sep 2, 2006.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I have a LCD monitor that use to be attached to the wall I now want to put it back on to its stand. But I have lost the screws, any ideas where I could get replacments from? The screws fit the standard LCD monitor wall bracket.

I know this is a bit off topic, but Im a bit lost!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

How are they threaded? Are they just run of the mill machine screws?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

at your local hardware store.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Because they screw in to the back of the monitor they are a very precise size but apart from that they are normal.

Cheers

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm going to take a wild guess, and say they are machine screws.
    When I say machine screw, I'm referring to the threading on the screw itself.

There are two flavors of machine screw - metric, and sae. Metric machine screws are commonly used for automotive, so you probably need SAE machine screws (which are pretty common).

Here's what you need to do:
    Get your monitor stand (leave the monitor at home), and take it with you to the hardware store like Leopold suggested. When you get to the hardware store, they are going to have this thingamajigger for checking the diameter of the hole- the Home Depot down the street from me has just a metal template with all possible screw sizes drilled into it and labelled.

Once you figure out what size machine screw, all you need to know is what kind of head the screw needs to have, and the length.
    The length is the easy part - just take a wild guess at how long the old screws were, and you'll probably be right. Screws are cheap, so if you were paranoid about the length, you could always buy duplicate sets that were the next longest sizes.
    The head will also be simple assuming the original was not countersunk. You will have your choice of either crown head (if you want to use a screwdriver to put it on/take it off) or a bolt (if you want to use a wrench).

If it IS counter sunk, then you will need to get a 'flat head' machine screw, and pay extra attention to the length because the monitor stand needs something very specific.

Hope this helps

9. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Cheers you seem to know your screws, I will give it a go

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I worked at a hardware store when I was in college. I think a couple of the coolest things I learned while I was there was about screws, and how to cut glass and re-screen a window.

BTW-- I did get one part wrong---- if the threading part of the hole is in the back of the monitor, then yes you will have to bring the monitor to the hardware store.