As an adult have you ever cried because of physical pain?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Melan, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Melan Registered Member

I had never cried because of physical pain and I thought I would have never till sometime ago (at 38) after stubbing my toes against a hidden stone: the pain was sudden, unexpected and excruciating! I hate to show my weakness in front of other people, especially if younger then me, so I tried very hard to fight back the tears. For some moments I succeeded, really fighting very hard, but after a while the pain became more then excruciating and I couldn't help bursting into tears. Result: three toes and some small bones broken... but I felt ashamed to look such a crybaby!

Let me know if you had similar experiences and what do you think of my reaction, please.

Melan

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

when i was 10 and i snapped my two front teeth in half

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

Yes, i have a low threshold for physical pain. I cried when i fractured my thumb, cried when they had to fiddle around with it to get it back into the right position and cried even more when i bumped it into a wall 2 seconds after they put my plaster on. i'm a cry-baby and not afraid to admit it...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vega Banned Banned

yeah, when i got shot in the ass!

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

As an adult I have never cried from physical pain, only emotional. I have shut my eyes tightly, clenched my teeth, and hopped around holding my thumb saying "I did NOT do that!!!" as well as several other choice words. I wouldn't be so bold as to say I never will cry from physical pain, because I have never had a broken bone and have no idea how much it hurts.

Now, by crying, do you mean just the forming of tears? That seems to happen to everybody with sudden and particularly sharp pain. But tears accompanied by wailing? Not that I can recall.

9. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Vega Were the tears from pain, or from sheer humiliation?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Hee hee! Ask me about a small-town cop who shot himself in the ass! Uh, your real-world name isn't Mark Fricke, is it?)

10. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

The last time was when I was 13 and I was playing rugby, some guy tackled me and his head hit me right in the kneecap. Hurt like a bastard.

11. makeshift Registered Senior Member

I cried when I was 16 (I'm 22 now) because of postoperation pain from when I broke my tibia and fibula. I didn't cry when I broke them and I didn't actually cry because of the pain (although it was very painful after the surgery). I was just over emotional because I had really bad insomnia and because the narcotics weren't working like they should have and I was apprehensive that I was going to spend the 10 hours or so in excruciating pain. So it really wasn't the pain, I guess. Apprehension.

Other than that, I can't remember any distinct memories of me crying because of physical pain. Only emotional pain makes me cry.

12. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

weirdly when i was 15 i broke my thumb clean through and i went to work the next day, went to school for a week and only realised when i got a tetanus jab and the bruising came out in my hand turning it a shade of green

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Strange, now that I think about it no, only when emotions are concerned. Otherwise I just roll around and cuss.

14. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Yeah I dont think most males are even capable of crying over physical pain. Thats just personal experience though.

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

trust me they do, I've made a few cry myself (physical pain)

Myself I sufferred much worse and never cried.

I'll cry over nothing tho when it comes to emotional things, a proper wimp.

16. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Yeah but are you talking about blubbing like a baby, or just eyes watering when kicked in the nuts?

17. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

ooh I forgot about those incidences, yeh blubbing like a baby

18. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

My eyes have watered from experiencing the sensation of pain (IE- smashing thumb in car coor when closing it), but I've never 'sobbed' from pain as an adult --if that's what you mean.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've cried over movies, books, songs, family fights, broken hearts, the death of friends, the death of pets. I'm not sure I've ever cried over physical pain as an adult. But it's just because I haven't had to suffer any physical pain of that magnitude as an adult. I don't consider myself lucky in that regard, physical pain is usually of shorter duration.

20. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Your eyes naturally water if something is sore enough, I think. Bawling like a little girl - no.

Unless it involves copious quantities of alcohol and you're pretty unstable in the head as it is, that is. Emotional stuff and most situations + a lot of alcohol, yes.

21. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I don't think I have ever felt pain bad enough to make me cry as an adult. I don't want to either.

Pain is useful in moderation, but it is excessive and the sooner society controls it before i die, the better.

22. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

I never used to cry from physical or emotional pain when I was a kid but now as an adult if the physical pain is really bad I will cry a little bit and small emotional things set me off and I have to work hard at keeping a straight face.

23. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

DONT WORRY ABOUT IT.... anyone who has been in major pain understands, and anyone who thinks less of you is just a moron.

i had been in constant daily pain for over 10 years.... and sometimes if i didnt take my meds, id wake up early... in terrible pain...

i had been in pain so long, i discovered something...

if you laugh histerically... the pain isnt so bad.

so often i was seen, limping to the store... my face a mask of tortured pain, tears in my eyes... walking like im going to die... BUT LAUGHING... LAUGHING.. LAUGHING.

Im sure i looked totally wacked.

-MT