a new experience

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by The Devil Inside, Aug 29, 2006.

?

eat horse meat?

1. sure, it is meat, isnt it?

100.0%
  2. no, for whatever reason (explain).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. eating meat is naughty.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

so, i decided today to shed my last vestiges of "americanism".

my lady went to the store, walked to the meat section, pulled a package down from the shelf, and brought it home to me.

i had heard about the french eating horsemeat before, but i had not known previous to this week that the practice was also carried out here in belgium.
    a few days ago, i had heard willie nelson doing a speech about the evils of horse butchery. i was fully on his side until today.

getting out 2 slices of bread, i spread a thin layer of mayonaisse on them both. i added a slice of gouda cheese to the bread, placed the thinly sliced portion of equine flesh upon the bread, and took a bite.

delicious.

it made me wonder what the taboo about this is, in america.
    1. it is meat.
    2. it is delicious meat.
    3. i didnt get sick from eating it.

i am not sure about how kosher horse meat is, ill look into it tomorrow.
    however, today......ill be relishing the memory of my "seabiscuit sandwich".

in this poll, you may select more than one option.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

The taboo is purely for cultural reasons, really. We as a people don't eat horse and dog meat only because our culture tells us horses and dogs are, in a sense, "above" the animals we eat.

There is some reasoning behind it, if you think about it. We ride horses, so it's like, "You, my equine friend, have served me well, and you and your kind have a special place in my heart". And we just love dogs to death.

But again, it's our culture. That's all.

That said, if I were given the chance to try a new meat, I might take it, if only to say I've done it.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

rofl

I don't particularly like horses, so anyone that feels the need should feel free to butcher and eat them.

Maybe America's problem is that horses were a very useful tool exploring the U.S., travelling, sending messages (pony express), winning independence and cowboys 'n' stuff!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

5 slices left in the package. ill be sure to eat one for you tomorrow, athelwulf.

it is like a mixture between corned beef, and ham.....it is reddish brown in color, generally darker than i like sandwich meat to be...imagine bacon if you left it in the refrigerator unprotected for a few days...thats what it looks like. very salty, gamey, and chewy. but delicious.

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

But it won't be the same.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

... Unless you wire your taste buds directly to my brain!

Now where can we find nerve tissue long enough to stretch across an ocean and a continent?

... Perhaps this is a job for stem-cell research?

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Been there, done that.

Of course, I was too young to really remember much about it. I vaguely recall it being sweeter than beef.

10. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

remove your head, and fedex it to me. ill eat the sandwich, and then lick your brain...then send it back.

11. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

yep. it has a very "foreign" taste for an american tongue.

12. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I always like trying new meats. I would probably eat it if I had the chance. Though I don't really picture it tasting very good (which is probably just because of cultural bias).