2 sets of vocal cords?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Descrasnezul, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Descrasnezul Registered Member

I was sitting in my lifegaurd chair at work today and i got to thinking about last years movie, The Exorcism of Emily Rose (did i spell that right?) Well anyway, I was wondering if it was possible for someone to have 2 sets of vocal cords and if so, can we train ourselves to use them? I thought it would be kinda cool to go up to someone and sound possessed. lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i have an uncle who had one of his vocal cords paralyzed by a surgery...he sounds possessed whenever he talks....imagine a death metal singer, without him trying to sound "grumbly".

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Some people can sing two notes simultaneously with one set of vocal cords. It's really weird. They manipulate parts of their throat to bring out certain overtones in the sound wave.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Throat singing.

8. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

Is it possible to speak like 2 sentences at the same time. You could have a conversaton with yourself or be speakng twice as fast. Two distinct voices at the same time?

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

If you had two sets of vocal cords, I doubt you could really use them effectively at the same time. The formation of words depends on how you shape your throat, mouth, and tongue. Two independent sentences would usually conflict in this regard.

Though I bet you could learn little vocal shortcuts. Depending on what the next word was, you could start saying the next word before the first one finished, and learn to speak faster. And you could probably become a really good singer. Instead of that weird whiny quality of the throat singers, you could actually harmonize with yourself.