Can blind humans dream?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Muslim, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

I was philosophizing over this. Say a born blind person could he dream? I wonder what they would dream about! I bet its shit being blind though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Liquidwalls Registered Member

They do dream, but with the other senses; sound, scent, taste, touch.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I was under the impression that people who were born blind didn't dream. I suppose it does make sense though that they dream with the other senses, like Liquidwalls said.

But if the person went blind after they were born, they surely do dream in the same way as do those who can still see.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

I think they would dream because its not just about seeing your dream but about sensing it. Google blind people and dreaming and click FAQ, it gives a good explanation and study of dreaming and people. It basically says if you were blind at birth then you can't see in your dreams. All your other senses are more vivid.

8. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

How do you know?

I mean do they see in their dream like hot nude womens or what ever? Like dream about things.

9. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Thats all just pseudo intellectual bullshit I don't have time for. I would class a dream as dreaming about things.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

humans must dream or they will go insane.

11. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Probably because he researched this?

I don't think anyone dreams of womens, whatever a women is...

They don't see anything in their dreams, because they have never experienced the sense of sight. Just as it's incredibly hard for us to imagine any senses other than the five we already have, it's incredibly hard for people who were blind since birth to imagine sight.

You don't only see in your dreams. You hear too. And feel, and taste, and smell. All your senses are involved in your dreams. The only difference is that one sense is missing in blind people. Just because they don't see in their dreams, doesn't mean they aren't dream.

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

It's pronounced woah-man.

13. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I had heard that blind people were exempt.

*shrugs* It doesn't matter anyway. It was an illogical thing to think anyway.

Why am I not surprised?

And blind people are dreaming about things; thus, they're having dreams. I don't see what point you're trying to make.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Most of my dreams are primarily of speech. They often have no substantive visual images.

15. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Athelwulf, I don't like you. I would punch you in the face in the real life.

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Is there a way to stop people dreaming?

17. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Is that supposed to make me think you're right? Is that supposed to make me think you're all tough? Is that supposed to sound like anything other than a direct threat?

Well, it's not working. And it never will. You require moderator intervention.

And by the way, I don't like you either — but at least I'm civilized enough not to actually hit you, were I standing in front of you in real life.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Either make them stop sleeping or somehow block their ability to enter REM sleep.

19. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

http://vision.about.com/od/severevisionloss/f/blinddreams.htm

Q. Do People Born Blind Have Visual Dreams?

A. The answer, simply put, appears to be "no." When people born blind were questioned about what they "see" in dreams in several studies, their answers indicate that the experience of vision first is needed before it can be translated into a dream. Those blind for a lifetime instead experience other keenly developed senses in their dreams--i.e., the sensation of moving around, the emotion of joy, etc.

Dream images of the blind instead seem to be reconstructions of objects based on sensory input such as touch and sound, just as occurs in waking life. But can these images be accurately described as visual? Can an object be recreated in detail if the dreamer has in fact never experienced seeing it?

Other studies indicate that individuals blind at birth do see visual images. But it can be argued that these images are constructs based on input from other senses (and on what the dreamer has been told by the sighted about what these objects look like).

20. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Not true. Humans don't even "need" sleep. There are some people born with a genetic disorder that prevents them from creating the chemicals in their Medula Oblongata that puts people out. Without this chemical being generated, they do not ever feel the compulsion to go to sleep.

That doesn't mean that they can run around like Energizer Bunnies... their muscles obey the same chemical laws. But they can sit up all night and read or play chess or whatever.

Carl Sagan talks about a father and daughter that had this disorder in one of his books. I think it was "Broca's Brain". They were perfectly normal, and lived healthy lives. Except for the fact that the guy's wife left them because it drove HER crazy that they were always up!

Cases like this prove that dreams are not needed to consolidate memories, prevent insanity, do any subconscious upkeep, or any of that nonsense. It also proves that sleep is not needed in any way. The only reason we sleep is because it serves as a very short duration of hibernation. It kept our nocturnal ancestors asleep in the trees (or in their holes) during the day, when the big lizards were afoot. It conserves energy, because you really only need to be awake long enough to forage and fornicate.

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

No. Blind people cannot dream. This is such an obvious obviously that the discussion should be lucked.

Blind people are not even technically people. They aspire to be untermenschen but will never attain that exalted rank.

The best that a blind person can hope for in life is to be ground up and made into either a.) dog food, b.) oil, c.) insulation. Other than that, they're worthless wastes of space.

Wait. Strike that.
    Blind people can neither hope nor aspire.

Sucks to be blind.
    At least they're one up on muslims though.

22. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

yes, but then i would kick the shit out of you, and have sex with your unconscious body.

and im not even gay. im just fucked up.

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I'd probably just shit on his face. (The beating taken for granted, of course.)

Maybe something more subtle... Giving him a hitler maybe?
    Nah. He probably wouldn't even notice... better just shit on his face. Hopefully I'd have the squirts that day.