Homeless betting

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Absane, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Twice in the last 3 days I had two different homeless people stop me and bet me.

"I bet I can name the city, state, and country that you bought those shoes for $5 in one guess."

Ok... The odds are high he would lose. So why the $5? Where is the trick?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

atleast he got your interest right?? did you give him any money??

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I told them I am not betting. One of them called me a racist for it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

where did you buy your shoes???

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

McDonough GA... there is no way he would have guessed that. It was at a Wal-mart... around here there is one every 5 miles in any direction.

9. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

i guess you'll never know...what if he/she did in fact know the answer??? maybe the homeless have formed some sort of secret club and go around spying on young males and watch where they buy their shoes from???? hmmmm???

10. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

ITS just a gimmick, to get you talking.... and test their psychic powers...

it is meant to fail... since they are not pyschic... but it was a fun 10 seconds, and hopefully, you will feel pity for his lack of psychic ability and you will give him the five, or atleast a dollar.

interesting pan handling technic... ive not seen it in LA.

-MT

11. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

I dunno. Only thing I can think of is...most people you meet everyday are in the same city they live in. Most people buy their shoes locally. Therefore the chances are high you bought your shoes in that city. Either that or you are well known within the homeless community Absane!

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Sounds possible. Not many people would bet $5 with a homeless guy only to win and demand they pay up. Most would just say "nah.. keep your money" and maybe give them a buck or two.

I had a dream last night about this where I actually figured out the gimmick. Your explaination sounds very familar to my conclusion (I cannot actually remember what my explanation was in the dream, but this is as close to it as I can think possible).

13. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Most people in downtown Atlanta at this time commute from within 30 miles of the city. There are lots of places to buy shoes in 200 square miles.

14. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

Ok...well perhaps they know that if they get it wrong, you're not expecting a bum on the street to cough up $5...so they can just move on and try someone else on the off chance. I don't think there is any trick...it's purely number crunching

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  15. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the MARTA rocks ass!!!

16. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Sometimes it is. They put in some new trains that they just hose out every so often. The old ones (with carpet) are still in use, though. Those smell like piss and vomit.

But they also put some TVs in them. And it's still $1.75 for a trip.

When did you come to Atlanta?

17. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

It's called a hustle. They get the first question wrong than ask you an easier one they know the answer to where they go double or nothing.

- N

18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I don't know.. they both said they only had 1 guess. I think it's what MT said. I know I would feel bad about taking $5 from a homeless guy, even though I am right in taking it since he offered to bet and we both agree on the terms.

19. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Absane they weren't after your money they were after your shoes,

they guess wrong, you take your shoes off to prove and they run off with them, I take it you wear nice treads?

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No they suck. They are restaurant shoes. And how the hell would he run off with my shoes in a public area?

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

lol

ok this is not so hard, they ask you a question they know the answer to, ie they recognise the shoes you are wearing and can further guess you bought them locally (most people do) and thus it is an 'educated' guess.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's a type of what is called a "cold reading." It's the stock in trade of stage magicians, as well as faith healers, palm readers, detectives, etc. And plain old con men. Anyone who is that good at it wouldn't be homeless, even if they're drunk and/or crazy like most homeless people.

23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Hrm. You can buy these shoes at any Wal-mart in the country.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3933700