Islam is not a Religion

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wesmorris, Aug 25, 2006.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Sorry for the free thoughts interuption, but this seems to me to be important that people should understand, so I went for max exposure.

Islam is a deen.

I am personally disgusted by religion, but a "deen" takes my disgust for religion and maxes it straight out.

A deen, according to the link - is literally translated as subjegation.

The word Qur’an translates as total submission and obediance.

Islam makes no bones about it by its very definition:

It is about power.

And the brokership and seeking of power for power's sake, is the most disgusting, loathsome aspect of humanity IMO (though a necessary evil).

Certainly one can argue "no, it's about sprituality" - to which I call "bullshit". An individual can make it so, and it can be sold to the indivual for its "spiritual value", but Islam itself is clearly about power.

While religions are arguably the same way, they sugar coat it to some extent - flirting with the idea that Islam takes to the extreme.

So in some ways I respect Islam more than religions, as at least it's not fucking around. That's also what makes it so dangerous and just straight up sickening to me.

Either way, I think people should try to understand the difference between a religion (limited to one's spiritual side, as determined by themselves) and a deen, (all encompassing).

Comments?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

*sigh*

I wish Allah's Mathematic's / Ghassan Khanafani still came here.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Islam is not about power or spirituality, it is about refined individualism.

Deen is literally translated as authority or dominance.

Islam is the derived from the root word Salima which means peace.

Islam is the religion of submission to the authority of God.

Why submission? Because there is no intercession, and no one is accountable to another, all are answerable or accountable only to God. There is no shouldering of another's sins or piety. You are, literally, on your own.

Qur'an is literally translated as recitation, it is not meant to be read but recited.

The authority of God is 3 fold:

1. His creation, a continuous, changing phenomenon.

2. His natural laws, which control the universe.

3. His moral laws, which define ideal behaviour.

A Muslim, or one who submits to deen (the authority of God), is one who explores and utilises the creation of God within the bounds of the natural and moral laws.

PS. I hope you realise that anyone can publish on the internet and *gasp* may be ill-informed or even *choke* have no actual idea about the religious philosophy, even if he/she is *gag* a Muslim.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Did you even bother to read the link, or notice from whom it orginated?

It was an imam.

(Friday speech was delivered by Imam Mohamed Baianonie at the Islamic Center of Raleigh, N. C., on December 27,1996)

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I argue that many of them do the same thing, isn't it just semantics? Was Koresh any less subjugating?

9. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

?

Power.

POWER.

(subjegation is the result of dominance and authority)

Peace through power.

No, it is a deen.

That is not a reason to submit, but whatever. Not here to argue about god.

You are subject to islamic law, no? If so, you're not on your own at all, but subjegated by imams and holy dudes and such.

So you're saying the quoted translation is just wrong? I'll see if I can get some more input on that one.

Okay.

Who established the moral laws? It is said that god does it? Okay, but "as recorded in the Qur'an? Which has to be interpreted by people, who assert their authority by wrapping themselves in the power of the deen?

I hope YOU realize your condescending tone negatively impacts your chances of communicating anything of value.

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

The difference seems to me to be of scope, but certainly since they cover similar grounds the scope can be pushed or retracted to overlap of definitions. I need to think about it a bit more to hypothesize if the difference is fundamental.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps the scope is a result of the empowerment afforded by the influx of oil revenue?

The scope of US power (now in the hands of apocolyptic evangelical Christians) is also global, just by comparison.

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

So you think cheney is an apocolyptic evangelical christian?

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think he's the spawn of Satan.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like the government? Islam is a social religion, with indications of possible resolutions for every conceivable instance. There are no hard and fast rules, as it is supposed to be applied with the use of reason, a faculty sadly lacking in the majority.

Yada yada;

There are two major concepts in Islam, deen and duniya.

Literally, God and the world.
    One either lives for the pleasure of faith in God (i.e. following his authority) or for the pleasures of the world (i.e. materialism and self-interest to the exclusion of interests of the world and its inhabitants).

So what is deen?

2.177 It is not righteousness that you turn your faces towards the East and the West*i.e. in prayer*, but righteousness is this that one should believe in Allah and the last day and the angels and the Book and the prophets, and give away wealth out of love for Him to the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and the beggars and for (the emancipation of) the captives, and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate; and the performers of their promise when they make a promise, and the patient in distress and affliction and in time of conflicts-- these are they who are true (to themselves) and these are they who guard (against evil).

That's it.

Imams do not make the law. The government makes the law, even in Islamic countries; and they are free to pick and choose.
    Yup

Same way the governemnt "interprets" the law etc etc.
    Wasn't meant to be such; just surprising how many people don't realise that there is no qualification for being a Muslim and even a goat herder who regularly conducts prayers in the desert can be called an imam (literal meaning leader, vernacular religious leader, or one who leads in prayer). And there are no qualifying exams for posting religious opinions on the net. And don't even get me started on the vested interests of fundamentalists.

Imam:
    http://lexicorient.com/e.o/imam.htm

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sam, you make 22 posts per day? That must be some kind of record.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

More actually, its the only way to kill time in the lab between experiments.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm here from 8 to 10 or 12. I have no life at present, until Dec maybe

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I do the same thing.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does it get any better than this?

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Mohammedanism is about control and subjugation. Mecca was a perfect example.

If that were the case anyone could simply walk away from Mohammedanism without fearing for their lives.

"Then He turned to the heaven, which was only smoke at that time. He said to the heaven and the earth: "Come ye together, willingly or unwillingly." -- Sura 41:11

Have not the disbelievers seen that the heavens and the earth were one piece and We parted them?
    And we made every living thing from water. Will they not then believe? -- Sura 21:30"

Aside from the fact those two tenets contradict one another, the universe was not created from smoke.

Natural laws break down in black holes.

"Now when you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks until you overcome them fully..." (47:4).

"O you who have attained to faith! Fight against those unbelievers who are near you and let them find you adamant, and know that God is with those who are conscious of Him" (9:123).

"O Prophet! Strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites and be adamant with them... " (66:73).

"Slay the pagans wherever you may come upon them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and lie in wait for them at every conceivable place..." (9:5).

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Been through this before; eat four almonds every morning and drink a glass of milk. It's an old wives therapy for improving memory. Dunno if it works for old whines.

Since I'm not an expert on astronomy or creation, I could not say. However, I'm assuming that since the disbelievers came after the heavens, both the events could have separate chronologies and might refer to two completely different events.

And you know as much about the origin of the universe as this guy here:

click
    I believe the natural laws are relevant only where we are to encounter them.
    I doubt we'll be visiting many black holes.

Take 8 almonds. Four may not be enough.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Old wives tales and relgious propaganda appear to be the only things you're an expert.

Hence the problem, you "believe."

Homines quicquam credent.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I believe you.

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Then those who reject Faith in the Signs of Allah will suffer the severest penalty, and Allah is Exalted in Might, Lord of Retribution.