Survivor Pulls the Race Card

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Genji, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Genji Registered Senior Member

CBS's Survivor is taking a new twist this coming season by dividing all contestants according to race. Blacks, Whites, Hispanics and Asians will be in their own seperate teams to compete against eachother. Apparently ratings for the last season were poor so the powers that be are playing segregation. Ought to be interesting. The Asians will be the most unfair grouping as they come from all over the continent from established distinct cultures. Koreans, Japanese and Indians in one team while suburban whites gel? We'll see who self destructs/ wins soon enough. Survivor: Cook Islands starts Sept. 12!! Thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Wow, I never thought american TV would have the guts to pull something like that. Expect the results to be littered with euphemisms and heavily watered down....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Genji Registered Senior Member

Race is very extemely touchy and sensitive here. In these reality shows rivalry is encouraged. I predict some nasty meltdowns complete with racist epithets, bleeped out of course. They won't be segregated long as the game culls members along the way. They'll eventually merge and contestants better hope nothing they said comes back to haunt them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I never watched the show but I'm sure not going to start now. Thanks for the warning.

8. Genji Registered Senior Member

I was ALWAYS the 1st to condemn those that watch such trash tv. All the greed and the posing Barbies & Ken's in yet another tropical setting but I admit I'm into several of them now and Survivor is among my favorites! I wish the setting could for once not be tropical! Survivor: Greenland! Survivor: Siberia! But skin sells and the target audience is males 18-34 so beach settings and bikinis it is. I am looking forward to this round. I wouldn't want to be seperated that way, especially if we merge later. I read some contestants were unhappy with the arrangement but the producer went for it anyway.

9. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

Survivor: Sahara!!

10. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

The show Survivor is like every psychologists fantasyland. They do stuff to people that you couldn't get away with anymore, waivers-be-damned. The experimental data you can acquire from this show is totally unique because of this.

I wish there was a way to get access to all of the unedited footage in order to get more reliable data, and publish some papers from what you would find. But as soon as a psychologist got involved, then the show would be considered unethical. Which is bizarre, really. It is ethical for entertainment and advertisement dollars, but unethical to further our understanding of human nature? Strange.

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I can see it now.

Blacks win all the physical challenges

Asians win all the problem solving ones

Whites don't win any challenges but end up winning the contest anyway through sheer maipulation.

Native Americans and Indians get kicked off first episode.

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

survivor is completely fake. you think those people are really starving? you think they really cant jsut get on a boat and go home? which make it even worse. its not scripted, and its not reality, its just a half-assed attempt to make something that they can sell to advertisers.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

"fear factor" is another piece of trash tv.
    it really should be called gross tv or how disgusting are you.
    here, eat this 3 foot piece of cow anus.

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

Ummm, heh. (swallow) I watch FearFactor too! I LOVE watching models choke down worms and elk penis's!

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Survivor: Suspended Over A Sausage Grinder by a Beef Jerky Rope in a Rat Infested Warehouse!!

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

I knew Survivor wasn't something popular here but I do think the segregation Survivor will be interesting. Will the Asian females rip eachother apart? Will the Black men bustamove and attack eachother? Will the Hispanics align with the Whites? Same sex racial segregation would likely be a better recipe for success. The male/female bickering I'll bet will take a toll. At www.cbs.com you can see the cast, if anyone is interested.

17. Genji Registered Senior Member

JP & Ozzy are the only two cute guys!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And their both white!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Fucking hilarious! ROFLMAO!

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think it will be interesting to see if this series of Survivor gets Americans to talk openly about race. It seems to be a mostly taboo subject in the US, which means people have all kind of hang-ups about it (just take a look at sciforums, where most of our resident racists are American).

I'll definitely be watching.

20. Genji Registered Senior Member

We all know the US has not resolved it's race problem. We had race riots just 12 years ago in our 2nd largest city. A city many would consider ahead of the social justice curve! (LA) We've reinstated racism as acceptable since the Right swept into power and 3rd Reich Radio legitimized racism, often lamenting PC and yearning for the freedom to call people racial and sexist epithets. We are still segregated, it's just more subtle. Katrina taught us that. I don't expect any shaking revelations coming from Survivor: Cook Islands, but I'll be watching as well. Incidentally I noted the wrong date for the US premiere; It's Sept 14th. Does Australian TV have access to it the same date? I wish I got Australian TV!

21. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Not true...Black Comedians have a made career out of it.

22. Genji Registered Senior Member

That brand of comedy is the modern day minstrel show with blackface and overstated features, hamming it up with an audience that largely lives seperate from Whites. A handful of Foul mouthed "comedians" using streetslang for mostly poor black audiences is Not an excuse to accept racism.

23. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

You forgot Liberals are a target audience member too.

Latino comedians also have racial issues to thank for their flourishing careers...and most recently Indians too, but they're still a minority in that aspect.