Polygamy Is Wrong

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by kingcarrot, Aug 22, 2006.

1. kingcarrot Registered Senior Member

can somebody tell me what is wrong with polygamy? is it an economic issue??
    or is it fear of insest?? what is wrong with multiple parents especially in the age of divorce?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

In the age of a 'greying' population we need more children. Not more parents.

What's wrong with polygamy? Nothing if you want that kind of thing. Everything if you do not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> what is wrong with multiple parents especially in the age of divorce?

it is the only way forward... but remember "polygamy" is defined as many wives

How about many husbands and many wives ?

I think these "family groups" is the way to bring up children

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Most polygamy in the western world nowadays appears to be 'serial polygamy', in which a man has a series of wives, with children from each wife. Usually the wives are divorced, though sometimes it is through death.

Sometimes the woman has a series of husbands, and children from each, though this does not appear to occur as often as the man having a series of wives.

Some sectors also have men with more than one wife concurrently, usually in the form of a 'first wife' and a side 'girlfriend', both of whom may have children.

It is even more rare for a woman to have several concurrent men in their lives. Those are usually called prostitutes, and they may have several children by some of those men.

In olden times, and also in the Muslim world, a man would legally have multiple wives (up to four in the Muslim religion, I believe). Some religious sects in the western world do also allow for such polygamy (offshoots of the Mormon church, for example).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Actually they've already got a name for that and it's "serial monogamy." Kind of makes sense.
    That doesn't quite make intuitive sense mathematically. Those same six women must be awfully tired.
    A Muslim once told me that this made sense in Mohammed's time, that it was an act of charity. One of the evils that he arose to preach against was the incessant warfare of the era, which killed off a huge portion of the male population and left a lot of widows. The practice of polygamy was never intended to be canonized and carried forward into better times. This explanation certainly makes sense but that doesn't make it true.

9. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Surely you're being sarcastic, yes?

Ever since women's liberation where they've all joined the working class, the high amount of divorced couples and single mothers, we lack parents to raise children.

- N

10. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Human jealousy and possessive instincts make it difficult for that system to work...

11. Satyr Banned Banned

Polygamy sounds fine to me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I don't know where you live, but In Europe we lack children.

14. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

You're thinking of 'polygyny'. 'Polygamy' is marriage to many spouses, and it covers both polygyny, marriage to many women, and polyandry, marriage to many men.

15. kingcarrot Registered Senior Member

why would polygamy mean more parents?

Parents in monogamous relationships spawn 1 child for the 2 parents nowadays (my statistics could be wrong (as usual

)).
    say this IS the case then a person with another person spawning one child, a 2:1 parent:child ratio, means that if that person mothered another child with another person that would become 3:2 . This gap would decrease as more parents are added to the equation. f(x) = x - 1

i think it would allow for more children because the work force supporting the children is bigger.

dumbest quote ever (watch this post turn into a dumbest quote ever thread

)

16. kingcarrot Registered Senior Member

Do you practice?

17. Boss Foxx I piss excellence. Registered Senior Member

The thing that is "wrong" with polygamy is basically the society that it is practised in. North America is basically Puritan and exclusively monogamous in practise, and folks are almost hard-wired to think one man for one woman. There's a great deal of maturity and emotional dexterity needed for a mutually beneficial polygamous relationship to work. That's my estimation anyway.

18. kingcarrot Registered Senior Member

your not allowed to use the word mathematically anymore

19. kingcarrot Registered Senior Member

why would you be jealous?

20. Boss Foxx I piss excellence. Registered Senior Member

Jealousy would stem from a selfish love towards the woman/man who is, for lack of a better term, being shared with another spouse. Pretty easy for jealousy to spring up if they're not careful. That's why treesome's tend to get a third-wheel-syndrome happening.

21. kingcarrot Registered Senior Member

22. kingcarrot Registered Senior Member

well what are you waiting for?! i've done the math for ya

23. kingcarrot Registered Senior Member

so your the jealous type?