I can't sleep

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Absane, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yep. It's not 3:00 am. I have been laying in bed since 1 am. This happens every fucking night.. since sometime in 2003. 2 hours and nothing.

I'm not asking for help, I am just bitching. School starts tommorrow... 11 am is my first class. But, I want to be on campus by 9:00 am so I can buy my books.

Oh well.

Good night.. I think. :bugeye:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. patty-rick Registered Senior Member

yeh im pretty sure i suffer from mild insomnia... does insomnia include going to bed really late cose i cant sleep, and then having shit sleep so sleeping into like 2pm waking every 15 mins or so... thats me, give me a gun

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If your mind is overactive then you won't sleep to well. The entire understanding is that sleep requires you to relax, so if you have an agenda the next day that worries you or your are excited over the likelihood is that you'll be producing adrenaline that will keep you awake.

Other occurances of things that can keep you awake is if a person smokes cannabis (pot), it's known that smoking it increases dopamine which is naturally used as a neural transmitter.

To put it forwards in a way for people to understand, imagine that couriers have a set number of vehicles to travel the roads of an innercity, when someone smokes pot they increase the number of couriers making the road system over trafficked. This can lead to insomnia states and occasionally the potheads think they have some illusive theory that conquers all, which when they straighten up will just turn out to be a bunch of false positives.

If you want to increase your chances for rested sleep, stay away from caffinated products (coffee, coke etc), don't eat a meal too soon before going to bed, read a book, do some exercise.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i cant sleep because i have recurring nightmares...terrifying, really.

been that way since i was five or so.

and before anyone says it...NO, it has nothing to do with childhood trauma.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You are haunted because deep down you are still an evil communist. And the assumed lifestyle of capitalist disagrees with your deeper nature.

PURGE those feelings right now. I order you! If you are not with us you are against us. And we do not tolerate the axis of evil in our midsts. We don't want to turn our backs when we go to work and do our freedom lovin' duty and see our daughters raped when we get home (after working over time).

Stop growing that beard and purge the vile evil.

And sleep like a baby on valium.

9. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

The only solution is to become an alcoholic or divide the day into two naps.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I actually have the problem that I fall asleep immediately when going to bed.

11. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i sleep about 4 hours a night....5 if i am lucky.

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i got about 6 hours last night(managed to schedule 8 in there barely, but kept getting woken up) i had a really wierd dream last night too; my brother had some sort of virus, which everyone around town was catching, and my parents were for some reason wrapping ther bodies up in sheets and putting them in a bath of ice in my bathtub, then wanting me to drag their bodies back and bury them in the back yard before the police truned up... WTF?!

13. Indymaestro Resu Deretsiger Registered Senior Member

I'll tell you what helps me on these occasions: :m:

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

If you're having trouble falling asleep, it could be that your circadian rhythm is out of synch. For reasons no one understands, our metabolism is tuned to something like a 25 hour day. We need to get at least half an hour of solar spectrum light every day, during the "daytime," in order to reset it. Not everyone is as vulnerable because our bodies are truly remarkable and adaptable machines, but many people who spend most of their lives indoors have a circadian rhythm problem. If you can't go outside in the daylight for at least 30 minutes, buy a solar spectrum lamp.

You could also be a person who simply has trouble "shutting down" at bedtime. Your head is so full of ideas, problems, memories, and anticipations that you just can't stop thinking. There are thousands of audiotapes available to help you make the transition from wakefulness to sleepiness, borrowing techniques from yogis, hypnotists, musicians, storytellers, and the producers of really boring TV shows. I promise that you won't have to try more than five of them to find the one that works for you.

You could also have a biochemical problem, as others have mentioned. Notwithstanding the erudite explanation of how pot works, it puts millions of people to sleep. Often because it gives them "the munchies" and they eat a lot and then get drowsy from the effects of carbohydrates on their blood sugar. I carefully do most of my eating at night, especially desserts, and to hell with the diet gurus who preach just the opposite, because it helps me stay alert in the daytime and it helps me get sleepy at night. Not everyone's body works the way the textbooks say it should. Two ounces of cola keep me bouncing off the ceiling for a whole weekend, but I know people who drink a cup of coffee right before bed and find it a soothing way to end the day.

If you're having trouble staying asleep, then that's a somewhat different story. There's a subset of the above causes that could still be your problem. Not enough real or simulated sunlight. A meal schedule that isn't right for your particular body, regardless of what anyone else says about it. Ditto for drugs.

Too much on your mind is an obvious choice, though. Do you wake up with your brain in high gear, or with your emotions all wound up over something? You can start over and play the relaxation tape again, but unless they get at least four hours of sleep in one stretch, most people won't be healthy and happy in the long run. If real life intrudes on your sleep then you may have to start paying some serious attention to the particular things that are weighing on you and find some new way of dealing with them.

It could also be something as silly as a mattress or pillow that isn't right for you, a human or other species bedmate that crowds you (physically or emotionally), or lack thereof. I sleep really well when one of our dogs curls up in my "lap," even though it means my legs are in a somewhat awkward position and I can't move all night. Go figure. I really love the little guy.

If you just wake up early, well once again not everybody is the same. The human race is a bell curve on any attribute you can think of, including need for sleep. Some people don't feel rested until they've been out for nine hours, and some feel just great after four. Less than four... I would worry. That puts you in the earlier category of people who wake up during the night.

That said, I don't know how old you people are. In general younger people need more sleep for a variety of reasons. One is that your bodies work better than ours and do a great job of regenerating tissue and replenishing sources of hormones and other chemicals, so you need more time for preventive maintenance every night. I often sleep for only four hours. After a few days I need to catch up and I do so.

And of course worrying about sleeplessness creates a death spiral. You're so concerned with it that you can't get tranquil enough to fall asleep. If it takes you more than half an hour to fall asleep, then just get up and do something else. You might find that when you stop thinking about how awful it is that you can't sleep, you start to relax. I've fallen asleep playing computer games many times.

15. pasquala Living on a Prayer Registered Senior Member

Try Brain Gym. That has worked for a few people I know including my mother and myself.

16. Indymaestro Resu Deretsiger Registered Senior Member

Brain Gym eh? Sounds spooky.

It's not some kind of indoctro-regime is it?

17. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

just go to bed watching c-fax, works for me

18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I bet you anything that is my problem. Since I finished high school, I have become a very indoor person. After HS graduation is also when my sleeping thing got messed up. I don't actually feel like sleeping until 4-5 am. I had 3 hours of sleep last night... and sore everywhere (from workingout today) and I am very tired. I bet you anything once it hits 10 pm and it gets dark, I am wide awake (as always).

I have actually found binaural beats helps me a lot, but it's so damn annoying I don't bother. But yes, my head is racing when I try to fall asleep. I'll keep getting up every 5 minutes because there is something else I want to research before I got to bed... the Internet seems to be my enemy when I want to sleep. All the random thoughts that come by I make connections and I am like "shit, got to research that before I lose interest."

I've only smoked pot 3 times in my life. Each time, yes.. I was VERY VERY tired. I could barely keep myself sitting up. My legs wanted to give out when I would walk. It was fun though, but I am not going to use pot as a sleeping aid. Sugar doesn't seem to make me sleepy. It's weird. I have no idea why. Sleeping pills don't. I think it's the CR you talked about.

No problems staying asleep.. but I know the quality of my sleep sucks. I wake up feeling like I lifted weights in the middle of my sleep. Eh?

No when I wake up I feel dead and tired. I don't want to talk, look at people, or think. But before I go to sleep it is the complete opposite.

Thank you for your reply

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yea I used to have that problem. Simply laying down on the couch for 5 minutes was enough to put me out for hours.

Bastard.

20. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Absane you sound a bit like me, except I normally always sleep for a couple of hours after work between 6-9pm and stay up till about 2 or 3am before getting up for work at 7:30am. Although if I don't sleep in the evenings I am also wide awake come 11pm.

It is far from a fulfilling lifestyle... my only hope is winning the lottery so I can sleep when the fuck I like, in a fuck-off mansion.

21. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

One day I hope to sleep when the fuck I like, in a fuck-off mansion as well. Dream Dream Dream.

22. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

i get about 3 or 4 hours sleep a night right now, when schoo lstarts il lhopefulyl bem roe tired

23. valich Registered Senior Member

When I have trouble getting sleepy, I simply browse through Sciforum, read and sometimes post her and there and it puts me too sleep. Then I'm all set to wake up in the morning roaring to wake up and go to work all bright eyed and bushy tailed.