'Stupid' people vs everyone

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by HonorAndStrength, Aug 21, 2006.

1. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

If I behave in a well-mannered, knowledgeable, and quiet fashion, sometimes people feel threatened.....sometimes the haughty insults are thrown, etc.

If I dumb myself down and start showing excitement for trivial things, if I act 'stupid', 99.99999999999999999999999999% of everyone takes a liking to me.
    I am not a threat, etc..

I don't like to be reminded of the different levels of edification between people.
    It forces me to lose hope for the future of our species.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. patty-rick Registered Senior Member

was there a question in there? im presuming you just wanted thoughts on it...

there is a definite difference in energy levels between the two personalities you described, I want so prefer but i would enjoy being around the 'stupid' you, happiness is infectious, well mannered quiet types can appear hard to get to know open up to and may make someone feel awkward or god forbid 'stupid'

how about combine them and be a smart, well-mannered, exciting person, being smart should allow you the advantage of being entertaining, i know I use it...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

You are handycapped by your own desire for acceptance. Stop trying to fit in- you don't need to.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I have noticed this too, when I pretended to be a dumbass(for the sake of comedy) everyone seemed to notice I was here, now I try to post to my true level of knowledge most seem to hate me and further than that insult my intelligence more.
    Also I have seen many intelligent forays pounced upon by group ingnorence, thus dismissed as crackpot and moronic simply for posing an unusual but valid question. Im not talking about the likes of Martillo or 2inq, im talking about Tor and such people.

8. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  9. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Yes, I must say "Good morning!!" to co-workers with cheer or ask people how their holiday/weekend was as though I give a shit, in order to avoid being talked about when I'm not in the room

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yes... I rarely ask co-workers how their day is going or how last night was... because I don't really care. If I really cared, it would be because I know them and I was probably there. lol. I could fake it and pretend I care to kiss some ass and make a few friends, but I would feel like a fake. I don't want that.

If a party happened last night, I don't care unless I was there

11. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

when i was a teenager and my buddies and i hung out with groups of girls on saturday nights. i was often asked at parties "why do you use such big words?"

now if only i had thought of some cool sexy comeback reply at the time.
    can anyone think of some?

12. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

"Baby, I use sesquipedalians to correspond to my adamantine reproductive organ."

People only seem to like me when I'm bored and giddy and start acting like a jackass to pass the time. When I try to start a conversation about something interesting, most people want to change the subject.

Of course, people have always been this way, and they don't need to be particularly smart to survive natural selection. Intellectuals should seek out other intellectuals and form secret societies so they can control the thoughtless masses.

"Ninety-five percent of the people in the world need to be told what to do and how to behave." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger

13. imaplanck. Banned Banned

It's sad because I think smart is so sexy. Am I a freak like someone who cums from sucking stilettos? In this crazy world I think I am.

14. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

You are handicapped by your lack of understanding and unfounded assumptions, more commonly known as a mistake. I do not believe I ever stated I wanted to be accepted. It was merely an observation that affected my outlook on different things.

If you suddenly become sensitive and take offense to my response, perhaps you should take a second look at your initial post towards me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  15. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

My post was not meant to be offensive.
    Let me rephrase:
    You dumb yourself down for others to gain acceptance (there would be no other reason for it--- it's not a bad thing, it's just fact). You should maintain your current well-mannered, knowledgeable, and quiet fashion without relying on a counter-intrinsic behavior/gimmick. It will slow you down (handycaps you).

16. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

I appreciate the responses in this thread. This is a free thought section and we did exactly that. I enjoyed reading your responses. Feel free to add any other behavioral observations you notice.

There is another reason - experimentation and observation. I suspected that this was the case and I intentionally acted this way to prove it to myself - in the end, after several trials with different people, it was proven to me as true.

There really is a need in the world for a place for the self-aware/intelligent individuals to go to and mingle. The world can drive a sane man insane.

p.s. domesticated om,
    How do you go on and say "there would be no other reason for it--- it's not a bad thing, it's just fact" with such assurance? Obviously there are other possibilities that you could think of yourself. Why do you just assume so quickly and with such assurance when you haven't spent the time to confirm it yourself? (unless of course you just didn't have the capacity to acknowledge other possibilities on your own...in which case, I think you need to spend some time and realize the ignorance in your methods)

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

These comments are not directed at anyone specific, just all of you who are befuddled by so many "stupid" people.

Trading ritual banter with people is not "being stupid" and it is not an attempt to "make a few friends." I'll bet one time you tried to be "friendly" and when someone asked "how are ya doin'?" you actually started to tell them. Right? Did it dawn on you that these questions are not meant to be truly answered? That's what "ritual" means.

Making "small talk" is just human beings' way of maintaining the social bonds of the community. Remember that most communication is not in the words we speak. Tone of voice, facial expression, body language, we all read these things from each other (often unconsciously) while we're speaking, and when what we're speaking has no denotative meaning the entire communication takes place at that level.

We learn how you "are," but not how or why you got that way. We don't want to intrude on your personal life unless you're a close friend. If you're just another member of the community, all we need to know is whether--today, right now--you're feeling assertive or passive, like a leader or a follower, articulate or dumbstruck, strong or weak, cooperative or hostile, etc. We all need to adjust the way we behave in order to create the harmony that allows millions of us to share the same space without constantly being angry or afraid.

So what do you do? You refuse to even participate in the ritual! You broadcast hostility to everyone around you. You tell them in strong, passive-aggressive, non-verbal language that you do not wish to be a member of their silly little community. And when you do deign to talk, you refer to them as stupid. I know you think you only say that to your confidantes, but if you think that everybody else doesn't also know by now then you've really avoided learning some basic things about human nature. If more than two people know a secret, you might as well post it on the internet. Oh wait, you already did that.

You seem to appreciate the benefits of being a member of the planet's most social species. You like the internet, I'm sure you also appreciate music, cooked food, houses, and huge swaths of living area totally devoid of lions and tigers. These are all products of civilization, or at least its precursor village life, and animals of solitary species can never create these things because they require working cooperatively.

If you want to partake of the benefits of a social species, you might be kinder to the other members of the species who in aggregate have created them.

Dogs perform their social bonding ritual by sniffing each other's butts. Cats do it by tearing each other apart. Isn't our way so much easier yet so much more rewarding?

18. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

I dunno, butt-sniffing is pretty easy.

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I dunno- I guess where I went wrong was assuming that your original statement was an admission that you preferred the alternative.

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ahhh FR. You are indeed the voice of reason. Nifty post.