Country Music Star, Kills "Tame" Bear to enhance his Image!

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Blackrain, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Blackrain Registered Senior Member

Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild. Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly’s property in October 2004.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear’s death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/feeds/ap/2006/08/16/ap2953920.html

Now I know we have studio Gangsters in Rap. But now we have Studio Hunters in Country HAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHA!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm not surprised, he probably killed the bear with awful country "music" by practising near the pen.
    Arrow is just a cover to save face.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Heh, too funny.

- N

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Those guys make some good music but they come across as soooooooo Christian that I can't stand to watch their videos. Now it turns out they're immoral lying hypocrites, how pathetic.

President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt went on a bear hunting trip and hadn't managed to bag one when it got to be time to head back to Washington. A staff member captured a small bear and brought it to him so he could make his kill and have a trophy. Roosevelt refused, saying it would just not be honorable, that no self respecting hunter would do that. This is the origin of the name "teddy bear."

Now we have public figures that go out and buy a trophy. I thought it was bad enough that Vice President Cheney went on a "hunting" trip to shoot quail that couldn't fly and were dumped on the ground in front of him--but at least he didn't kill any and shot his friend in the face instead. It's a real shame that Montgomery didn't shoot Gentry in the face, the scarring would pretty much have ruined him for video shoots.

Since I'm a meat eater I try to peacefully coexist with hunters even though I doubt that I could ever kill my own food. But this is disgusting.

8. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Despite all that, what kind of sick fuck would take pleasure in shooting bears?

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

A sick fuck, indeed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We seem to have a complicated, myth-filled relationship with bears going all the way back to the Stone Age. Like we have with dogs/wolves. Bears never invited themselves into our communities the way dogs did, but bears rear up and walk on two legs like us, and that burns itself into our collective unconscious. Dogs may be the most popular non-human species of family members, but bears are the most popular non-human species of dolls. (Don't tell me about cats, we've been living with dogs for five thousand years longer.)

In many Stone Age tribes, it was believed that by eating an animal, or certain of its parts, one could acquire the virtues of that animal. Bears, "the other biped," were like really big, brave, strong, fierce humans, so it was natural to want to absorb those traits from them.

It was also a matter of machismo, being able to get close enough to a bear to kill it meant that you were one tough stud. Eventually that aspect of hunting eclipsed the others, including the often parasite-infested meat, so it came down to collecting trophies. Mounted heads on the wall.

Montgomery wants to be regarded as one tough stud who can kill a bear, and he's not afraid to lie about it.

This could, of course, be looked upon as pure show biz. All actors pretend to be something they're not while they're performing, and increasingly so when they're off duty, and all artists have to be actors to a certain extent thanks to paparazzi, music videos, and gossip columns.

Montgomery Gentry plays to a demographic who thinks hunting is cool and carries gun racks in their trucks. Nothing we think or say is going to bother them.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Bear worship is older than homo sapiens, for even the neanderthals had bear shrines high in the Europe's mountains.
    For all we know the bear is the oldest worshipped deity in the world. And it is continued to be worshipped in some tribes of Siberia and also among the Ainu people in Northen Japan, curiously their rites very much resemble those of neanderthals, so it's a mythology that has jumped the species barrier and is older than any other we are aware of and, indeed, older than man.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Jean Auel certainly agrees with that. The Clan of the Cave Bear are Neanderthals, not sapiens. And whether you like her storytelling or not, she certainly did her homework.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

She did it according to the time when she wrote the books, i.e., the bear cult and associated shrines have been known since at least the 1960s, but modern nowaday research shows that neanderthals had no problems speaking, but their voices would have had been, maybe ironically, of a much higher pitch than that of homo sapiens,
    thus the dominance of the sign language depicted in "The Clan of the Cave Bear" while theoretically possible has no real scientific ground or evidence.

p.s. Since we touched the stone age theme, I saw the film "Clan of the Cave bear" (yea, I know of the books), imo it's not well done,
    the French "La Guerre du feu" (Quest for Fire) is much, much better.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Oh geeze, I just could not stand "Quest for Fire" and walked out. It seemed exploitative. I deliberately did not go to "Cave Bear" because from the little I had seen in previews it didn't look any better. Besides, some books form such powerful images in my mind that I don't want to spoil them by seeing somebody else's. "Lord of the Rings" was an extremely rare exception.

The sign language is such a nice touch, it's a shame it's probably not real. It provides a lot of the dynamics between the two species. Look at how much friction there is between peoples who speak different languages, imagine if one of them had no spoken language at all.