new user block

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by thedevilsreject, Aug 20, 2006.

?

new user block

1. yes

7.1%
  2. no

42.9%
  3. yes, but changes should be made

50.0%
  1. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

should the new user block be brought back into force? i know it is unfair on any new decent posters joining but at the moment it seems that for ever decent poster there are two crap posters; and if you dont think the ban should be brought back are there any changes you would like?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i dont really care.
    i have a working membership.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

new user block? what's a new user block?
    anyway my ignore function works so having another function to block users is a little redundent don't you think

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I think he means stopping new membership again for a while.

8. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

Doesn't that totaly defeat the purpose of an open forum?

9. perplexity Banned Banned

The quality of the membership would of course be enormously improved if subscribers were but obliged to supply and display genuine particulars of who they are.

There may then though be a problem with the quantity, with the sneaky rats all scared off, back to their rat holes.

--- Ron.

10. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

id rather have the quality over quantity

11. perplexity Banned Banned

An occasional exception could be made a prisoner in jail or a patient in a hospital for the mentally infirm, with a promise from a warden to keep an eye on them.

--- Ron.

12. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Can it be set so that registration is frozen, but those who are already members can invite whoever they wish into the forum? Most members wouldn't invite someone who they know will be problematic. An additional detail, which could be necessary in order to avoid defeating the purpose, could be to allow only respected, non-problematic members the ability to invite new members; otherwise, the problematic members would be free to invite a crowd of more problematic members.

Although some could see this as elitism. Oh well, it's an idea nonetheless.

13. RickyH Valued Senior Member

With computers, it doesn't matter how you set the website up. whoever you don't want in, will try just that much harder. Sadley there's always a way through. I like the idea of turning a blind eye, to who ever. This site is setup well enough to where you don't even have to read what you don't want to. The best way to block some one, is by blocking them out, in my own opinion. But if you took away all the excitement of a normal fight here and there, you take away alot of peoples purposes here. The more people leave, the less you have to talk about, the more boring this place becomes.

14. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I think if the mods would just ban the newly-registered spammers right away, and immediately delete their threads (which I'm sure they do), then it wouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I can just ignore the bad posters, and I think that we need new members so that the forums don't dry up.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

the problem with deleting spam threads is that the moderators aren't online 24 hours a day. from what i know they are all volunteers.
    banning spammers will not do any good, and doing an IP ban will remove alot of legit posters from being able to register.

16. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I haven't ever noticed one, but do they have a "report thread" in here. Maybe it would make it more efficient in that area.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

When the spammers are banned, are their user names freed up? Would suck to run out of usernames because of banned spammers. Heh.

Anyway.

Yeah. It's only an annoyance. The problem is that only James can delete threads in any forum. Well.Goofy too. Not sure if he's in the shadows or not.

Most forums aren't moderated.

The general science forum has Tristan who never posts but still performs his moderation duties.

Sigh.
    How fucking annoying it is, eh?

Stupid spammers.

I wonder how many it actually is? Think it's just one guy?

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah, on the line where your screen name is scan across to the right.
    on your posts it will be an edit button. on other peoples posts it will be a report button.

19. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i did suggest a temporary ban by member vote, in another thread, but people seemed to shun the idea, so this is what your snuck with.

20. RickyH Valued Senior Member

oh yea, i always saw it i just never noticed it. and now that i noticed it i accidently sent my reply to the report folder.... lol i should probably go to starbucks and wake my self up a little

21. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I'd like a 1-5 thread moderation. You notice spammers never post a good first thread... it's always "buy buy buy." At least this way it is fairly easy to cut down on spam in the general forums. However, the downside is that most new members are legit and this also gives the moderators more to do.

MAYBE... for the 1-5 threads that are created, they are automatically moved to a "new member" subforum. Most may be legit threads, but also spam is moved here and is not in the way of the general discussion.

I don't know. I do not run SF so I don't have to think too hard about this. Never get in the way of GOD!!

22. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I think we should block new members for an hour (kill spam bots) and only allow new users to post in the science sections for like the first week. that will stop people from coming here for the religion section.

23. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

A feature I've figured out they use at another forum is to disallow new members from making threads until they reach a certain, undisclosed post count. Is that possible here?