Explanation of Redshifts

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Joeblow93132, Feb 10, 2002.

1. After studying the redshift phenomena I've found that the redshift is directly proportional to the amount of time that the redshifted light is traveling slower OR faster than c.

Example 1: If an object is moving away from you, the light that is emmited from the object takes longer to accelerate to c. Therefore, the light is traveling longer at below c. This causes the redshift. If the same object is moving towards you, the emmited light, for a very short period of time, travels faster than c(c+v(object)). This would cause a blue-shift.

Example 2: Light coming out of a massive star will redshift because the gravity of the star is making it harder for the light to reach c. This, in turn, would would mean that the light is traveling longer at below c than if there wasn't a gravitational field. This would cause the light to redshift. If light is traveling towards a large mass, the light would be traveling faster than c since the gravity of the mass would be pulling it. This would cause a blue-shift.

As you see, this explanation would prove why light redshifts when coming out of stars without the need for relativity. Time is not the variable in example 2, the speed of the light is. In other words, wavelength is constant, speed is the variable, and frequency of the redshifted light is the result of the wavelength and the speed of the light.

Does anyone know the formula for the correlation between the amount of redshift and the mass of the emmiting object(Example 2)? I would use this formula to determine the mass and the acceleration of photons. I appreciate any feedback.

Tom

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. c'est moi all is energy and entropy Registered Senior Member

i can give you a whole bunch of possible sources for the redshift

one that i found particularly interesting is the one which Ray tomes gives in the perspective of his harmonics theory
    hence, he was able to predict a whole bunch of redshifts before they were discovered or before he took notice of them, without the huble constant
    you can have some read here:

http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/rtomes/st211.htm

and here's the index where you'll find some more bits on redshift (scroll below):

http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/rtomes/index.htm

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Q,

Thanks for the formula!! But I still need to know two things:

1. What does r stand for in the formula?

2. How did you get the formula displayed on sciforums? Is it a GIF?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2002
  8. c'est moi,

Thanks for the links!

Tom

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

r is the distance from the gravitating body with mass M.