Piece this together, folks

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by mountainhare, Aug 19, 2006.

1. mountainhare Banned Banned

Remember how I was complaining about my massive trojan/popup problem a while back?

One of my many problems is the incessant pop-ups screaming that I have a dangerous virus on my computer. Every time I start Internet Explorer, I get redirected to www.syssecurity.com:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

After much frustration and failure at using Norton Antivirus and Zonealarm, I decided to try and download the 'SpyHeal' on the webpage I keep getting redirected to.

I then ran it, and discovered that I have a number of nasty 'high risk' spyware which Zonealarm and Norton didn't pick up. One of these malicious spyware files is called 'smitfraud.g'
    Ironically, to actually remove this 'dangerous' Spyware, I first have to purchase the full version of SpyHeal:

I then googled 'smitfraud.g', and got this little website:

Now, I'm not making any accusations. I merely ask that all posters here follow the evidence, and come to a logical conclusion.

I hope that this post is an eye-opener...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i had the EXACT same popup about 6 months ago...if you are having problems getting it, i can send you "bazooka scanner" through a messenger maybe.
    alternatively, you can try to get it yourself:
    http://www.download.com/Bazooka-Adware-and-Spyware-Scanner/3000-8022_4-10247782.html

it seriously works reallllly well. it finds things that even adaware cant see. the only catch, is that you have to manually delete the files it identifies for you. this can be quite time consuming, but my pc works better than ever, after using it.

*shrug* i sound like a fucking infomercial...you would think i owned stock or something.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

we had that EXACT problem on our computor a small while ago

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Ohhhhh.......you're on dialup. You CAN'T clean install.

Wow, you have a lot of junk running in the system tray.

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

godam! he does. go with adaware, spybot S&D, AVG (unless you have up to date norton or macaffe(SP?)), hijack this, and spywareblaster. if that does not work, format.

(remember to do it in safe mode first)

and uninstall all that crap that is running in your sys tray!

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

As well, once you've cleaned up your computer, try switching browsers, IE is a magnet for data mines and other such greeblies. Firefox doesn't seem to attract anywhere near the amount of greeblies.

11. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I strongly agree with Q. I watched a video once of a sort of hacker get-together and they asked everyone what the most important single thing was in protecting your computer. they all said dump IE.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

i had something similar awhile back.
    cause? well i hate to admit it but it came from a crack site. i was searching for a key for a program i had and the site presented me with a button that said 'download program' and i clicked on it, the rest is as you are familiar with.
    the way i got rid of the monster was to reformat and reinstall.

under the investigative report: summary is listed stuff that your browser automatically sends to every website you visit and is normal.

13. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

And only run Daemontools when you need it.

14. valich Registered Senior Member

If you have the latest spyware and anti-virus installed with up-to-date definitions, and they don't pick it up when you scan the entire system, then you could have a virus on your hard drive. The anti-virus program program should still be able to detect it though, but then in this case, if it's stuck to your hardrive, you'd have to replace the harddrive.

Sounds to me like you have some type of adware that keeps popping up. Go to start, go to Run, then type in "msconfig" . On the top tabs of System Configuration Utility, click on Start Up, then click on Disable All, then click on Apply. Then on the top tabs, click on Services. Read down through the list and uncheck anything that looks strange and is not signed by microsoft and anyone else that you think you should trust, like "unknown." An example would be: "dfkad."

15. mountainhare Banned Banned

Don't worry folks, I fixed this little problem days ago. I d/l'ed a custom free script which removes smitfraud.

I'm tempted to write a nasty email to Spy Heal, although I doubt I'd achieve anything. The best thing that I can do is to inform others of the fraud that unethical companies are perpetuating.

16. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yeah, your prob was using IE in the first place.

- N

17. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

You might get your email address added to a massive spamming list?

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You'll be wasting your time.

This is not the only company which infects your computer with viruses and trojans in order to sell a "cleaner" program to you. In fact, some of the spyware cleaner programs available actually install spyware onto your computer.

So, you need to be careful. Never use any cleaning program unless you trust the company which produces it. Also, a brief google search on the program or company name will usually let you know whether the program is legit or dodgy.

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'd also endorse spybot and ad-aware.