Did dark energy kill the Big Bang?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Krytho, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Krytho Registered Member

The Big Bang Theory and Inflation Theory were invented to explain the expanding universe as indicated by the red-shifted stellar and galactic spectra. First, a titanic explosion created an entire universe from a tiny singularity. Second, that universe rapidly inflated, faster than the speed of light, to the far edges of the present universe.
    Now these are extraordinary claims, requiring extraordinary evidence, but I have seen no extraordinary evidence. These were essentially magical events---creating something out of nothing at the wave of a magician's wand---pulling rabbits out of empty hats because nobody could come up with anything better. Magic doesn't need evidence. That's why they call it magic.
    But, suddenly we have come up with something better---and it's not magic---it's dark energy, or quintessence---the mysterious force overcoming gravity to accelerate the expansion of the universe. This is not just a Rube Goldberg theory like the Big Bang or Inflation. In quintessence we are looking at creation itself. We are looking at the true nature of the universe.
    My question is, "If we had previously known about the role of quintessence in an expanding universe, would we have gone through the agonizing contortions of the Big Bang Theory and Inflation Theory? Or would quintessence have explained the expanding universe all by itself? Does quintessence and dark energy kill the Big Bang Theory and Inflation Theory in one stroke?"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Confused ...

Isn't 'quintessence' just the name given to 'dark energy' by Turner?

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

These are all yust theories. A theory means tht it has not enough proofs to cover it and call it a FACT. We have some insights and even fewer facts, but not so much to say tht either theory is right. You can theorisise all you want. I can even make up my own theory and call it the true one. Different is - we can prove one theory wrong, then it falls out, but there might be smthing we haven't thought of also.
    This is why I take all theoties noted, but don't hold with both arms and mind to one

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Cheers!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. c'est moi all is energy and entropy Registered Senior Member

somebody told me that Inflation theory is ready for the bin, though he didn't tell me what the new big bang theory was ... does anyone who's up to date has notions of this???

8. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

quintessence

Means the "fifth essence" and was the term applied to dark matter by Lawrence Krauss in his book The Fifth Essence, the search for dark matter in the universe". Published in 1989 by Hutchinson Radius.

Backed by observational evidence. Cosmological redshift, the abundance of the light elements and the CMBR.

True. The only problem is getting others to take you seriously if there is no evidence to back your claims.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

"Backed by observational evidence. Cosmological redshift, the abundance of the light elements and the CMBR."

of course there are facts. if there were no, then those would be simply assumptions not theories.

"True. The only problem is getting others to take you seriously if there is no evidence to back your claims."

Precisely what I ment. I only say tht for now we can not state the one right one.

Cheers!