Turbo!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Teg, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

I have pondered about this for a long time now. I have consulted about the issue with a few before. They have explained the problem as that of an outdated device.

Why is there a "turbo" key on my keyboard? I have used many antiquated computers and all were without the key. Did I miss a beat somewhere?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I do not have a turbo key, but would like to have one, if it speeds up the net.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Probably this question belongs to another forum.

The turbo was a button, in most cases, on the computer case. What it did was to increase the speed of the computer. For some reason computer manufactures thought that you might want to run at a slower speed. One day they had a "better idea" and took it off as everyone operated in turbo mode anyway. I suspect that it had to do with heat generation that faster speeds made. That yours is located on the key board is unusal. It makes me wonder; How old is this computer you are using?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think you will find the reason that there was a turbo key was due to Floating point operends that had a nasty habit of getting a little mixed up at such high (486x66 etc) speeds.

So the idea was to lower your processor, so it didn't run like a programmer on caffine and get his calculations wrong.

8. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

A turbo-button would have a great feel-good factor to it wouldn´t it?
    I wish I had one. My finger would be resting on it all the time

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I had a 386 and a 486 that had the turbo button on the case. If you ever used the slow speed, it took forever to get anything accomplished so it was always on.

10. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

It's the keyboard. I do not have a terribly old computer (not sure, but I can bet that an AMD 1.4 is not such an archaic device, but then again in computer years a one year=10 so it can be considered a young adult). The keyboard, however, was one of those random purchase desicions. It is called the Turbo-Trak. It can't be that old as it has the windows key. The funny part is that it works much better than the wholly inadequate device that accompanied my machine (press one letter and a different letter comes out, or weird symbols, or nothing). I have a third keyboard that lacks a windows key.

I have heard horror stories about programs and games that work off the system clock speed have timing problems. Archaic typing tutors and scrolling programs have this tendency.

I suppose that eventually I will break down and purchase a USB keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.