Favourite dish in your country?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by brainmetrix, Aug 10, 2006.

1. brainmetrix Registered Member

Let's talk about famous dishes in different countries or the one you like most, and if possible the recipe of that dish as well. I will start.
    The famous dish in Morocco is Couscous, and it's my favourite too, I don't know really the recipe, because I never tried to cook it before, I'm only good at eating.
    Here is a brief description:
    [KOOS-koos] A staple of North African cuisine, couscous is granular semolina. Cooked, it may be served with milk as porridge, with a dressing as a salad or sweetened and mixed with fruits for dessert. Packaged precooked couscous is available in Middle Eastern markets and large supermarkets. The name couscous also refers to the famous Maghreb dish in which semolina or cracked wheat is steamed in the perforated top part of a special pot called a couscoussière, while chunks of meat (usually lamb or chicken), various vegetables, chickpeas and raisins simmer in the bottom part. In lieu of a couscoussière, a colander set over a large pot will do. The cooked semolina is heaped onto a platter, with the meats and vegetables placed on top. All diners use chunks of bread to scoop the couscous from this central platter. Couscous varies from country to country-Moroccans include saffron, Algerians like to add tomatoes and Tunisians spice theirs up with the hot-pepper-based harissa.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Hmmm.... favourite dish?

I love one dish back in my hometown..... it's called Nasi Liwet (yea, I'm Indonesian currently not at home)..... that's rice cooked with coconut milk, then accesorized with chicken and egg, more coconut milk goodness and some mildly spicy soup. That is just delicious ^_^

Really, it's been more than a year since the last time I see home, and everytime the chance to talk about it come up, I just plain feel homesick xD

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i love "Pilmenis"...it is a russian/ukrainian dish.

very simple. take ground hamburger with some spices, wrap them in little dough cocoons, and boil for 10 minutes.

DELICIOUS.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

We've got something thats a southern Delaware original, but I think its spread some through new jersey and pennsylvania now. Its called Scrapple, and its the best breakfast meat you could ever have. Its basically all the stuff that makes up sausage, and some that doesn't, compressed into a meat brick. You then slice it into about 1/4" strips and brown it in a frying pan. Its good by itself, but the best is a scrapple egg and cheese sandwich. MMMM....

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

scrapple kicks ASS!
    i introduced it to my belgian friends, actually

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

fish and chips

10. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Here in Scotland we have something called dumpling....it's not like the usual thing you'd mean by dumpling i.e a bag of dough with some crap in it, basically it's like a little slice of cake without icing, with raisins and stuff, fuck knows what they make it out of, but you cook it and eat it with your normal evening meal.

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

dont really have a favourite, but the national dishes here are fish and chips, and the pie sandwich.

12. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

mmmmm pork pie

13. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Tacos and burritos.

- N

14. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

ever seen the j,lo south park episode

taco flavoured kisses lmao

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Biryani

Flavoured spiced rice with either meat or chicken, slow cooked on a low fire for several hours so its filllllled with fragrance.

16. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i prefer a bhuna

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

are you indian?

18. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

no, but i love an indian takeaway

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm an American from outside the scrapple region and I assure you that not everyone here likes it. It's that "stuff that doesn't make up the sausage" that's the problem.

Other candidates:

Catfish and hush puppies. Hush puppies are deep fried dumplings made from the batter used on the fish.

Fried chicken.

Macaroni and cheese. Notice that we don't even write "maccheroni," as far as we're concerned this is pure American.

Apple pie.

Hamburger. A broiled patty of ground beef sandwiched into a sliced bun, with relishes and condiments.

Hot dog. A vaguely frankfurter-like sausage, boiled or broiled and sandwiched into a long narrow roll, with relishes and condiments.

Buffalo wings, named after the city, not the large and completely flightless mammal. Chicken wings breaded with alarmingly spicy-hot seasoning and fried or deep-fried.

Perhaps the pinnacle of American culinary creation, my favorite food in the whole world, the one my wife had to learn to make in order for me to be content even though she's already a five-star chef with an international repertoire, because they're even ten times better homemade and fresh:

Doughnuts.

Frankly, if you just base it on popularity, I think the American national dish is pizza.

20. Genji Registered Senior Member

Mmmmmmmmm........ Burritos......

21. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Heh, learn a new thing every day..

And yeah, I love buffalo wings. Mmm.. the hotter the better..

Mexican food and BBQs are my favs.

- N

22. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i dont like pooping fire.

i had serious digestive problems about 5 years ago (due to a liver infection), and now i cannot partake of the spicey stuff.

23. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Oh man! My condolences..

- N