Question on a kind of figure of speech

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by curioucity, Aug 7, 2006.

1. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Hi all.

Let me just say some things about myself first. I love talking un-literally, that is, twisting the real meanings of several real words or phrases and make new meanings out of the. Most of the time, I use either irony, sarcasm, or hyperbole (which is my favourite). Some other times though, I don't know which type of figure of speech I am using, for example on these two sentences:

"I'd rather walk than fly.", in which I actually try to mean that I prefer to stay in low profile.

"I hate working in a china shop", in which I actually mean that I am dealing with fragile things.

I kinda guess those are methapors, but I am kinda doubtful if they really are. Besides, since like I said I love hyperboles, most of my figure of speeches are hyperbole or hyperbolic (example: "I think I can drink a river")

What do you think, people? I'm just curious, this is nothing major really.

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"I'd rather walk than fly" is clearly a metaphor. You're not talking about doing either one of those things, but rather two things that have the same relationship, in this case doing something anonymously rather than making a spectacle of yourself.

"I think I can drink a river" is hyperbole, which is just a fancy word for exaggeration. You're talking about drinking and a river is a lot of water so you're just saying you could drink a lot of water in a colorful way.

The china shop is also just colorful talk. Not exactly hyperbole, since the things you're working with might actually be just as fragile and expensive as china. Not quite a metaphor, since the reference is obvious and unremarkable so no picturesque leap of insight is required to figure out what you mean.

Basically you just have a flair for language. Listening to you talk is more entertaining than someone who says, "I'd rather keep a low profile than stand out; I hate working around all this breakable stuff; and I could drink a large diet soda right now."

You're fun. It's cool. We don't need to analyze it to death. You should write more. That talent should be nurtured.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Thanks ^_^ Frankly, that is heartwarming ^_^
    Indeed, I'll do my best to keep this 'hobby', since I also find it fun to draw pink with red crayon xD (that one was just invented, by the way xD)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.