Rock Star: Supernova

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Fraggle Rocker, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Anybody been watching it? I caught most of the last season and thought it was wonderful, and that INXS did a perfect job of picking J.D. Fortune to replace Michael Hutchence. He wasn't my favorite though, I hope a couple of the others got contracts out of it.

This season is a hoot. The fact that they're starting a band with three guys who were never together before means they've got no loyal fans to avoid disappointing, no familiar sound to avoid straying too far from, no oeuvre to cover faithfully. No personality, no expectations. The singer will define the band. They have to really keep an eye on the audience reaction to help them pick a direction to go in that will help them be a popular band and not just a gimmick.

I'm betting that it will come down to Lukas, Ryan, and Dilana. They're all plenty good singers, assured performers with their own styles and capable of handling a wide range of material. And they are so different from each other.

Dilana is my favorite, and obviously popular with the viewers. The woman who had the balls (and the Kurt Cobain-channeling voice) to cover "Lithium" as her introductory performance and just nailed it. She makes every song her own, and they always rock, sometimes in an unexpected way.

Ryan won my heart when he started off with "Iris" and nailed that one. And then the solo piano version of "Losing My Religion." He's thoughtful, full of angst, but powerful and commanding.

Lukas is not one of my favorites but he is a textbook example of a rock band frontman. The moves, the attitude, the dynamics. He's done a couple of songs that my friends' bar band covers, and I don't think his singing is quite as good as theirs, but he's got more chops as a performer. And my friend is actually the best singer I've ever known personally (and I lived in Hollywood for ten years) so he's a tough standard to beat.

Dilana will make Supernova a sultry, sexy band that makes every song a production number that pops your eyes out. Ryan will bring all the girls to the concert and the boys will be happy to come with them. Lukas will make for a predictable, formula band, but the refugees from Motley Crue, Metallica, and GnR will be quite comfortable with him and he might give the band a head start in establishing a personality.

Gotta mention Zayra, the 3/4 naked Puerto Rican girl. She can't sing a note, sometimes it's downright embarrassing. Has a crappy attitude toward the band and flouts their helpful advice. Picks material that is so wrong for her it's surprising that the producer of the show doesn't step in and overrule her. But she wears (or doesn't wear) the most outrageous outfits, prances around with no shame, and somehow keeps from being the one sent home every week. I think it's the "American Idol" syndrome. The audience likes to keep a loser on the show so they can enjoy watching her make a fool of herself. Sounds cruel to me.

And the house band! Screw Supernova, put these guys behind the winning singer and send them out on tour. I'll buy a ticket!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

I've been watching too.

Excellent perspective and I agree, Delina's performances leave you wondering why she isn't already leading a super group - she has my vote and I'll be watching for her. She's stealing the entire show and will wind up with a record contract with or without Tommy Lee and da' boys.

Funny - I caught the new INXS on tour a few months back and had a great time but what I saw were fans who (old fans, hardly any new by the average age being over thirty by my estimates) really didn't seem to connect with JD. Sure, the songs sounded great and certainly brought back some great memories however they are Hutchence songs and memories... It's a shame, i doubt INXS will be able to keep their existing fans or even win over some new ones, I guess only time will tell. And I agree, Supernova doesn't have that baggage to contend with.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.