What to do

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by DJ Erock, Jul 27, 2006.

1. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Coming up in just over a month I'm going to be in Europe for a semester. I'm an Architecture student at Virginia Tech, and the program I'm going on consists of 35 other architecture students and 3 of our professors. We're staying in hotels for 3-5 nights per city in the following places. London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Munich, Zurich, Como, Milan, Venice, and finally, Rome. The way its set up, on the first half of most days we'll go somewhere that the professors have decided that we should see. From there, we'll be let on our own to go wherever we choose to study the architecture and spaces.

So, my question to you sciforums, is this. Does anyone have any particular places they think I should go? If you live, or have spent a lot of time in, one of these cities, let me know what there is that I shouldn't miss. Keep in mind, I'm looking for mostly buildings, although public spaces, parks, etc. are all good as well.

Also, I'm looking for good nightlife. I'll be turning 21 during the first week we're there, in London. I know London has more bars then any other city in the world, and as much as I would like to, I don't think I'll manage to get a drink in every one of them. But if you guys have suggestions of the best bars to go to, and cafes in Amsterdam, let me know. Also, I'm getting to London a few days before the trip actually starts, and I'm trying to catch a soccer match. I've looked into it some, but Arsenal and Chelsea tickets are really expensive, so if anyone has suggestions of another nice stadium to see, lemme hear them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry that you're not getting much action here. I've been to Munich, Prague, and Venice, although it was more than 30 years ago. Prague has changed too much, my advice would be worthless. Well, the architecture is still there, but it's all in Old Town and you can't miss it. Tell the taxi driver "staro meste". Most of the beer in eastern Europe has about double the alcohol of the mouse pee they pass off as beer in America, so watch yourself. In the communist days the only recreation they really had was drinking, so they were all accomplished alcoholics and could drink anybody under the table. If somebody buys you a drink be wary, some of that brandy and other hard stuff they like tastes utterly vile to a lot of Americans.

Munich was where I landed to pick up my motorcycle at the BMW factory, so I was rather disoriented. I don't know about the architecture, but I'm positive you won't have any trouble finding a good time in Munich.

Venice, ah Venice. It hasn't changed a bit. I don't know how the architecture will appear to a practiced eye, but for me there was magic around every corner. I stayed several days beyond the date I had planned to leave for no reason except it just felt so good to be there. And I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't tell you a thing about the night life, I was very diurnal during that vacation.

I would offer you that experience as a guide to your trip. In many parts of Europe there really is magic around every corner. After a few days there you can easily believe all of the legends and fairy tales.

Cafes in Amsterdam. Yes indeedy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There must be thousands of blogs and online magazines on these topics. You should be able to find lots of info very easily.

Gute reise.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, has been some years while I was in Berlin and Hamburg, and truth to tell, I have not been paying that much attention to the architecture in Hamburg, but in Berlin, it is difficult to miss all the new buildings, especially after it was reinstated as our capital again and the government moved there.

So when in Berlin, you might like to look at the Potsdamer Platz, it was completely redesigned, alas, it was unfinished when I was there. Also, the Kanzleramt just across from the Reichstag and maybe the new Central Station which was completed just a month or so ago. Those would be spots for new architecture, the older stuff, well, Brandenburger Tor, the Reichstag, the Siegessäule, stuff that can be found on any map of Berlin since those are things that are always shown on sightseeing tours and such.

(This might also help, they got some good pictures of Berlins' attractions, most of them are buildings anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.berlin.de/english/visitors/attractions/index.html )

Don't know about Munich, did not spend much time in the south of Germany.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vega Banned Banned

The Edinburgh August Festival,..bars & clubs open till 5am.
    Live Shows and Theatre's.
    People all over the streets getting freaky all month!!

8. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

I've heard of that, unfortunately, I'm not going to be in Edinburgh, nor there in August