The Song That Got You Into Rock

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Arquibus, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

What is the song that got you into rock music? Not necessarily your favorite song, or the best, but the one that got you interested in the first place.

Mine was "Money For Nothing" by the Dire Straits. I love the opening guitar riff, as well as the accompanying lyrics as spoken by disgruntled department store employees. Awesome song.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Nirvana's Teen Spirit. Yea, yea. I remember a buddy of mine said it's her favorite and made me listen to it. I fell in love, instasntly.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Never been one. I hate rock music.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Oh man. I have no idea. It was a very slow progression. My parents used to listen to country music... so that is what I listened to.. but only in the car. My first memory of a song that was not country was Champagne Supernova by Oasis. I think the band that really got me into rock was Static-X... mostly the song I'm With Stupid. Also Rammstein's Mein Herz Brennt. Also there is a place for classic rock like Comfortably Numb and some Van Halen.

8. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

For me it's hard to say. I've been listening mostly to rock music my whole life.

I think the song that really got me into it was Highway Star by Deep Purple. That was also the first CD that I ever bought for myself (as opposed to receiving it as a gift).

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The same as RubiksMaster, can't really tell,
    even when a small kid I was listening to some latvian rock and Queen, but what got me over to the heavier side of guitar music was "Zombie" by The Cranberries, I still love the song, it's one of my favourite, and the band.

I started to listen to metal because of a latvian black pagan metal band "Skyforger" ( www.skyforger.lv )

10. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Tom Sawyer

RUSH

11. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

Pearl Jam - Jeremy

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

bat out of hell by meatloaf. it was the only one of my parents CDs i liked as a kid, but now i find my mp3 collection to almost match their CD collection.

13. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

my dad listens to a lot of rock so mainly picked up my love of it from him, but the two songs that really got me into rock were karma police by radiohead and one by metallica

14. Vega Banned Banned

"You could be mine " guns n roses....

15. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

"Basket Case" by Green Day, although that whole album (Dookie) really did it. My sister who is 10 years older than me made me a tape of the album when I was really young, too young to be listening to Green Day, but I listened to it all the time.

16. cybercom Your face will crack. Registered Senior Member

Let's see, it was a pretty gradual thing for me but I think it all started with Metallica's Enter Sandman

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Foreigner. (hey, at least it wasn't Winger)

18. Genji Registered Senior Member

"Can't Get No Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones. I'm old!!

19. Fathoms Banned Banned

"Creep" by Radiohead is the first rock song that I really became infatuated with, however it still took me several years before I grew out of pop/corperate rock music entirely. I could be mistaken on that song though. 1993 was the year I started getting into rock music.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I had to live for eleven years before rock and roll was invented--or at least named. Some of the pop music of the late 1940s and early 50s was okay, but there was a certain lack of passion. That hot swing like Benny Goodman and other types of passionate jazz were not easy to find on the radio. So when rock and roll finally burst onto the scene, it was like we had been invaded by aliens. Very kind aliens who brought this fabulous music with them.

It didn't really hit my small town in Arizona until a couple of years later. Thirteen-year-olds weren't very sophisticated in those days and didn't even get to operate the radio controls very often, so it was a while before I became conscious of the titles and artists of the songs I was hearing. On top of that, In Arizona country music was mainstream so the slow evolution of that particular vector, from western swing to rockabilly to rock, was not easy to discern. Elvis Presley, the Everly Brothers, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, and Buddy Holly were on the same playlist as Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, and Kitty Wells.

It was the high school cafeteria, where the kids were allowed to play DJ, that I first heard a pure mix of rock and roll over the PA system, including all the songs that evolved up through the rhythm and blues vector, which of course got no airplay on the country stations. "Earth Angel," "Get a Job," "Little Darlin."

All of these songs made me a rock and roll fan, I just wasn't conscious of it. I was a kid.

But to get to the point, one song came out of the speakers one day and grabbed me by the hair and made me sit up and say, "My god, that's wonderful! What is it?"

It's the first rock song that I knew the title of, by an artist who was truly playing music that was neither R&B nor rockabilly, but something entirely new.

"Rock and Roll Music," by Chuck Berry.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wow, you're old, Fraggle!

22. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

yeah, I thought he was like 15

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Bad Habit - Offspring