Buckethead

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by whitewolf, Jul 13, 2006.

1. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I asked around and it turns out few people know who he is. So, specially for those who like to copy ostriches: Inbred Mountain album is severely good.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tito Registered Member

Freakishly good guitarist. Goddam amazing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

A unholy mix of Van Halen, Malmsteen, Vai, Billy Gibbons topped off by a stupid name that matches his moronic stage image.
    Not my cup of tea at all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

4 handed tapping master, more musically inclined that most shredders (his shredding is actually tasteful), curious persona, sweet all white Gibson (sorta of his signature).

I like his stuff. Some of his songs can get a bit distracting and bogged down by eccentricity but his technique is flawless and he uses very interesting chord progressions.

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Who else here collects his stuff? Can you advise another good album? I have a little bit of The 13th Scroll and Somewhere Over the Slaughterhouse and I'm not impressed with these. His skills are awesome, but the rest sucks. I got the impression he records mostly for self-promotion. Although he's very original, I respect him for that.

9. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i actually didnt think too much of him, i mean he was good but if i want to listen to shredding i prefer michael angelo batio, if i want to listen to tapping ill listen to vai and for technical play ill listen to satch.

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Batio is the man but his stuff is also very weird...and he plays almost too fast, to a point it just becoming noise. Vai's tapping is not as advanced as Buckethead's...he is excellent at tapping but Buckethead can do some wonders with it and Satch is all around excellent, very tasteful shredder.

11. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

do you like rusty cooley

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yes and no.

His technique is sick, utterly sick....I can barely do six string sweeps but he does 8 string sweeps like he dusting the floor.....

but...

I have the same problem with him as I do with Yngwie Melmsteem, George bellas, Chris impellitteri etc etc...they use speed but their music gets lost due to excessive speed.

Guys like Jason Becker and Marty Friedman are (were, God bless Jason, guy was a talent and a half) moster shredders but their stuff is so enjoyable to listen to.

I listen to Rusty Cooley and I wanna practice, I listen to Becker and I wanna make music.

13. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

'I have the same problem with him as I do with Yngwie Melmsteem, George bellas, Chris impellitteri etc etc...they use speed but their music gets lost due to excessive speed.'
    to a point i agree, i never rated melmsteem as highly as some people do. i do like john petrucci though, he never seems to go overboard with the shredding even though you know he probably could. much the same as satch
    'Guys like Jason Becker and Marty Friedman are (were, God bless Jason, guy was a talent and a half) moster shredders but their stuff is so enjoyable to listen to.'
    i completely agree with you here, becker was a master, i love his serrana and think that it is perhaps one of the finest pieces of guitar work ever. i actually prefer most of marties stuff post megadeth, dragons kiss etc.... although tornado of souls is perhaps my favourite solo from a metal song ever

14. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yup, Jason Becker's altitudes album is probably the best shred album ever.

Mart Friedman is also amazing in the way he approches guitar playing. He has a unique way of playing in different keys to accompany each chord, he's good enough to a point of taking a note i nthe chord and making a scale on the fly and soloing over any chord progression.

His stuff is just incredible to listen to.

15. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i am starting to change my opinion on buckethead a bit, i found a couple of good songs of his on youtube which i might post up here later

16. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I agree. Listen to Night of the slunk on his album and listen to it performed live...two completely different things. His live stuff is better.