Life, the universe, and...Europa

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Pollux V, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

The one world in our solar system and in a place reachable by conventional rockets. There is an ocean and there is warmth, caused by a likely volatile crust under the ocean. Being so close to Jupiter and the other three or four Jovian Heavyweights must account for something. The possibilities are just too good to be true.

Any conflicts? Is there a better world (besides Earth, obviously)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lua Registered Senior Member

there are artificial sattelites going to jupiter exactly to try to discover that. let's hope biological life can be found there (altough it will be in a bacteria alike form).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Europa is certainly a good candidate for life, but I doubt we'll know until we land there and do some digging.

Other possibilities include Mars (underground), and perhaps Titan (probes are on their way).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'm hoping for a few levels above bacteria life forms, maybe even fish.

But who knows? Maybe.....just maybe there's a civilization there.

8. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

Well, we all know this is key to human survival. An asteriod is bound to hit our planet as it has in the past. I'd like to take a trip to Europa, maybe we'll stop off at Mars on the way. Imagine that, Space travel must be amazing!!! I don't think I'll be around to see it though.

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well back in the 40s and 50s when commercial airlines took off (pun intended) I doubt too many people thought they could ever fly, and we are at the very, very beginning of commercial space flight, and hopefully making it affordable for middle class people won't take more than twenty or thirty years.

10. Lua Registered Senior Member

that's too far from the sun to have a civilization (a complexed life form) specially when you're talking about technology.

it's probably just bacterias and some simple other life forms, but it will be incredible the discover that some kind of life originated in other planet. this means that life can originate outside earth and in around anotehr sun, where an earth alike planet exists (with the same distance of the sun, etc) life can born there as well. this means some et cousins for us.

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Lua that's a very linear view of the basics of any developing civilization. It is MY belief that life can exist in any sustainable environment with enough resources, not just water but ANYTHING. The same goes for Europa. As long as the ocean under the ice is stable, meaning that it doesn't boil every few thousand years then I think that intelligent life could be cradled there.

It helps to be on a planet with gravity and resources but I bet when humans start to explore the universe they'll start seeing 'space monsters' the size of entire worlds gobbling up the unlucky space cadets.