Basic Knowledge of Superman

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by nicholas1M7, Jun 28, 2006.

1. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

1. Is depicted as one of the most powerful beings in fiction from a physical perspective.

2. Fights for "truth, justice and the American way" according to the 1978 film starring Christopher Reeves, which I consider still one of the greatest superhero movies of all time for its portrayal of the character.

3. Is thought of to be the "grandfather of all superheroes".

4. Along with Batman, these two titans of the comics have attained influence paralleled with but by a few characters in the history of fiction.

5. Came to earth in a ship, the last son of the dying planet Krypton, fathered by Jor-El who he knows only through the crystal tablets which serve as an "e-book" of sorts, he can interact with the virtual Jor-El using this. Although he appears human, Superman knows full well that earth is not his home, but he does what he can to make it a home and at times this has physical, spiritual and emotional consequences.

6. He is not the most intelligent and creative mind, but he tries to make ethical calculations as best he could while in the process becomes burdened. What he can and cannot do conflicts with what he should and should not do. This pits the human and inhuman aspects of his life against each other at times. The virtual memory bank of his father Jor-El has power over him by virtue of it as the only thing along with Superman's ethical code that draws the line in his actions and limits its effects on the earth and natural laws.

7. Very human underneath. More so than many humans themselves. So his powers become inhibitted by his ethics and the situations of the moment. Which results all the more in self-disappointment in the event of failure to save the life of someone.

8. Each of his powers were discovered and developed over the course of his youth leading up to adulthood.

9. Was raised on a farm. Holds a straight, working class job as a reporter for the Daily Planet.

10. Considered the epitome of selflessness. One thing worth mentioning is that he chose not to sacrifice his superhuman powers to be a normal human and to love Lois Lane in the end of the second Reeves movie after being warned by Jor-El would be the result of compromising his powers for normality and love. Indicating that Superman's powers are bestowed by Jor-El, who seems to be a kind of moderator or monitor of Superman.

(This was inspired by my anticipation of Superman Returns opening this week, which is a sequel to the first two Reeves movies. It has already been met with great reviews and I've read one person already proclaim that its even better than Batman Begins.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vega Banned Banned

And gets very sick due to kryptonite!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

What is the "American way"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Archie Registered Senior Member

Sort of like jazz; if you have to ask, I don't think I can explain it.

Superman was first in print in 1933. A not insignificant part of his origin was the 'Great Depression' of the United States at that time. Many people were very discouraged in the nation, the government and life in general. The writers of Superman were attempting in part to cheer up the American people and provide some mild form of encouragement.

Superman has always lived in the United States. He has been a hero to the entire world, both in the fiction world he inhabits and in the real world of readers; but he has always been an American institution. So, as most everyone of any country has been, he tends to think of the US as his home. It is, despite his birth on Krypton, the only real home he has ever had.

I don't know when the phrase "... and the American way" was introduced. I do know it was part of the intro from the television series of the 1950s.

What does it mean? I think in essence, it's the sense of level playing field. As level as it can get without artificial handicaps, and as level as it can get and still allow someone to win. It's the sense that while not everyone has the same abilities and qualifications, no one is penalized arbitrarily - except of course when the liberal Democrats are in control.

Maybe that's not a good explanation. But like I said in the first place; if you have to ask, I'm not sure you'll understand anyway.

8. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

To be honest it was a rhetorical question. I know there isn't answer because on it's own it makes no sense. You might as well say "..the Chinese way", or "...the white way".
    I only mentioned it because in the recent trailer for the new Superman movie the phrase was changed to "...and all that stuff.." and I read a lot views on various forums that indicated people (Americans) were angry this was changed, as if it was some kind of insult to the USA. When I first heard it (in the first Superman movie) I took it to mean that Superman was supporting the USA as a democracy (quite rightly so), but after the 'election' of Bush it hardly seems relevant anymore.

9. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

I just came back from seeing Superman Returns. It is not a typical movie in that it seeks to entertain or tell a story in a sense. Unlike Batman Begins, it right away assumes the audience knows what Superman is, especially in light of Christopher Reeves. It does not seek to establish what Superman is since it would be tasteless and futile to attempt to replace the memorable performance of Christopher Reeves. In fact, those who have known Christopher Reeves and any fan of the original two versions which he starred, will especially admire this movie. It does not attempt to cover any new ground in regards to Superman, rather it is meant to simply pay hommage to Reeves and the first two. Neither does it attempt to separate itself for the new actor Brandon Routh until the credits role in the end. In many ways the movie makes Brandon Routh into Christopher Reeves but does not do it in such a way as to replace him, but to respect him. It referrences the romance between Christopher Reeves and Margot Kidder, but does not follow it. There is the kind of bitterness in its theme after someone leaves without having the chance to say "goodbye". The last line and the newspaper headlines especially hint at the passing of Christopher Reeves and coincidentally the character of Superman at the same time. But the ending paves the way for a new actor.

10. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

We would also not have Bananaman if it were not for Superman.

11. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Whodat?

12. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Bananaman is the shit! Google him bro!

13. ArpusDogma Mere Sinndoor Registered Senior Member

RIP Christopher ;}

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Uh...
    Wait a minute.
    So. It went from "Fights for truth, justice and the American way... " to "fights for truth, justice and all that stuff..."?

Man.
    That has to be the absolute stupidest line ever.
    I don't give a crap about this 'American way' thing.
    But... all that stuff?
    Was it written by a 5 year old on crack or what?

Something is wrong with this world.
    It was epitomized rather well in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when the best line that Wonka could come up with was, "You're weeeird."

So much magic has been drained from our world.

Illiterate cretins.

And the irony is, I suppose, that this is, in essence, the 'American way'.

Nah. Bananaman sucked. Dangermouse jumped the shark when they started tagging bananaman episodes on the end of his show.

15. tucandan Registered Member

Here's my problem with Superman, from a purely objective viewpoint:* How can he lift an entire boat out of the water by holding a single bulkhead?* The bulkhead would simply rip away from the rest of the boat, as it does not have the load bearing capactity of Superman.* Likewise, cars, nuclear missiles, buildings, everything Superman manipulates would perform similarly.**

16. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Maybe it's fiction

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

A suspension of disbelief field similar to that emanated by the Mask but less potent.

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

this is the true american way!!!!