venturing out into space

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by ltcmmdr, Feb 2, 2002.

1. ltcmmdr Registered Senior Member

Does anybody think we as a human race actually venture out into space and visit other planets that's outside the solar system? The rate we're going I don't see how it's possible really. That's my opnnion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

Well we don't at present but who knows what we'll be doing in the future.

You post would have been better written so:-

"Does anybody think we as a human race <b>will</b> actually venture out into space and visit other planets that's outside the solar system?"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

At present, cost is an overriding factor. As such, it is cheaper to use robotic probes than it is to boost all the necessary supplies to keep a person alive for several years while the mission is in progress.

The few exceptions have been the moon race, which was politically driven and backed by the populace through guiding leadership keeping it in the forefront and the ISS, which is suffering from lack of the same guiding leadership.

It is my belief that it will take much the same drive and guidence to see us in the space enviroment not as a visitor but as a home and backyard. We, as a species, have over the cwnturies kept our eyes to the heavens. The desire is there but the want is sadly lacking. Sometime in the future will come the drive to see us on Mars, if for no other reason than to do what all our probe and robotic ventures can not do. Experience first hand the touch and texture of another world. Whether this is a one time shot will remain to be seen after the mission is over.

We can not justify a colony as a population relief valve. The logistics and cost prevent such from happening. We must find that which can not be done elsewhere that makes either another world or space invaluable. It must be a paying enterprise, from which profit can be realized to make it a stable and ongoing concern or it will remain the province of governments. Once again cost raises it's head.

We have gained many benefits from the applications that we have learned to deal with the problems of space and it's exploration. To me it is a yardstick of advancement in knowledge. It is indeed my hope that we will see the day when space is occupied by members from our world populations. When and where remains to be seen.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hevene Registered Senior Member

I think it is better to send robots to deep space instead of humans. Space is a dangerous place to be in, a small collision could result big problems, so it's sensible to send highly intelligent robots to do the discoveries. Human, probably is only going to travel in our solar systems due to safety issues and issues raised by Special Relativities, unless they want to risk their life and give up their families, or we develops wormholes, robots are the way to go.