Music Question

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Fafnir665, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Whats the music part of a song called, where its missing the acapelo/a? I'm just wondering what the word is so I can look up some beats, but I can not for the life of me remember what that is called.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Silence Prolific Registered Senior Member

Instrumental?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Verse (usually vocals)
    Chorus (usually vocals)
    Bridge (usually vocals)
    Solo (usually instrumental)
    Turnaround (usually instrumental)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Interlude?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I assume you mean to say "a cappella," which is music that is sung without instrumental accompaniment. Purely vocal, like a church choir. "A cappella" literally means, "as in a chapel," in Italian.

So are you asking what you call the part of a song that is purely instrumental, with no singing?

If it's a long composition like an opera or a musical comedy, and you're talking about the instrumental part that comes first, its the "overture." It is supposed to present the main themes of the music. If it doesn't do that, but is more than just a few bars to get everybody in the same key, tempo, and frame of mind, it's an "introduction." Like the recorder part in front of "Stairway to Heaven."

If it's rock and roll or some other type of jazz and you're talking about the instrumental part in the middle of the song, between verses, where the guitarist or keyboardist or saxophonist or banjo player improvises or at least takes the lead and plays something composed for him, it's the "solo."

If you're talking about short instrumental parts between verses that are pretty much the same as the accompaniment and are used as transitions, sometimes we call that a "vamp." Particulary in heavy metal or blues, where it's a rather well-defined figure that repeats, very nearly a melody in its own right. A vamp can even come before the song and serve as an introduction. The chord progressions in front of "Gimme Three Steps" by Lynyrd Skynyrd or "Enter Sandman" by Metallica are just echoes of the the instrumentation that will accompany the singing.

If you're talking about longer instrumental parts that aren't quite long enough to be solos, but still showcase the talent of the musician (or of the composer), that might be called a "lead."

I've never heard "turnaround," but it sounds like something that goes between the verses that isn't quite structured and distinctive enough to be called a vamp.

9. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Instrumental is what I was looking for.

10. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

instrumental is a very broad term that can include most of what has been said here.

11. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Well, the story is some kid was talking about being a hardcore freestyler at the office, and me, being a big jerk, wanted to humilate him when he couldnt freestyle. So I wanted some instrumentals for someone to freestyle over. It was pretty funny, he sounded like Dr Suess. Anyways, thanks to everyone who replied, I really appreciate it.

12. Archie Registered Senior Member

A song is usually comprised of lyrics or words, and melody or tune.

Is that what you're seeking?