Battle Royale

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by mountainhare, May 21, 2006.

1. mountainhare Banned Banned

I've been hearing mixed reports about this movie for a while, but only just managed to get my hands on it yesterday.

I sat up all night watching it, and it was bloody fantastic. One of the most intense movies I've ever watched, and it reminded me of 'Manhunt', both regarding the plot, and the tense + realistic atmosphere it created.

The plot and characterization were good, the acting was better, and the whole thing was an incessant bloodbath. Maddox once stated in a movie review that the wanton slaughter of kids was the highlight of any movie. Well, Maddox will love this movie, as it is ALL a highlight.

I've always stated that the Japanese are the most depraved of all cultures, and my hypothesis has been further supported by this movie. If only more movie producers had the balls to make an in your face, dark, unorthodox movie like this!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yea, it's a great film, like it very much. There is one version with an alternative ending where they all supposedly die, but I haven't seen it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mountainhare Banned Banned

Perhaps if Big Brother were more like 'Battle Royale', I wouldn't badmouth it as much.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Battle Royale 2...the awsome film...the true spirit with which one should treat life.
    KILL to survive, kill with passion, kill and get out alive.

8. mountainhare Banned Banned

dragon:
    I preferred BR1 over BR2. BR2 seemed pointless and unrealistic. BR1 was just plain intense.

LOL! It's obvious that you're full of true Russian spirit!

9. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i like it like most of the asian films such as audition and visitor q

10. mountainhare Banned Banned

devil:
    Oh man, Audition was one of the most disturbing films I've ever watched. Especially regarding the guy in the sack, and what he ate... and the part near the end with the piano wire.

11. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

the part with the eye got me most, i hate anything to do with eyes

12. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i will also say that i found visitior q more disturbing than any of mikes films

13. mountainhare Banned Banned

devils:
    Oh god, I agree with you 100%. Eye damage makes me flinch even more than 'groin' damage. I really sympathized with that guy at the start of 'Saw 2', where the key was hidden directly behind his eyeball... and he's been given a scalpel *shudders*

14. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Now I'm curious

15. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

if you guys like gritty, realistic feeling movies....i highly recommend "henry: portrait of a serial killer".

it is a fictional (almost completely) account of the killer henry lee lucas' rampage across america. aside from the snuff movie feel of it, the acting is surprisingly good for a low budget movie. it was banned in germany for it's extremely violent content.

it may be a bit hard to find, but im sure some filesharing program would be useful in the search.

SPOILER ALERT: a guy gets stabbed in the eye with a haircomb quite graphically, so beware!

16. mountainhare Banned Banned

Zephyr:
    It's not what you think. Trust me. It has nothing whatsoever to do with strangulation. But by golly, you'll never forget the bit with the piano wire once you've seen it *shudder*

17. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

and the guy who got fed the.....well rent the movie and see for yourself, do like any of takeshi mikes other films mountainhare

18. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Yeah, I was kind of hoping they all die in the end. The best scene was the lighthouse bloodbath.

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i actually enjoyed the scene at the beginning where "the game" was being explained to the students.

it captured the horrific reality of their situation wonderfully. good stuff.

20. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

21. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Have any of you guys seen "The Last Horror Movie"? I was told to get it on VHS for the full effect, but my local vid store only does DVD. It was still pretty cool. If you haven't seen it, definitely get the VHS version if you can. I could see where it would have a better punch for the unsuspecting.