time and date

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by vslayer, May 17, 2006.

?

what should the date format on sciforums be?

1. (YYYY-MM-DD) ISO format

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. (MM/DD/YY) The current american format

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. other

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. vslayer Registered Senior Member

time and date change

ok, im getting really annoyed with the current system time and date on posts, anything posted before the 12th of any months i read backwards due to the american date format. and im sure that this happens to americans who browes a lot of britesh pages too. how about instead of getting into the big 'our way is better' argument based solely on nationalism rather than functionality, we just convert to the internation ISO format that is used in almost everything now days.

i hereby propose that we convert all dates on this site to ISO format(YYYY-MM-DD) so as to eliminate confusion.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Go bugger yourself. It is what it is.
    You're just looking for another reason to say something anti-American.

`

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I agree with vlsayer. Sure it is a minute detail but fuck man, this is Sciforums. A group of people who should be logical. And the ISO format is more logical than MM-DD-YY. At least in ISO you go from the highest values down to the lowest.. Years, months, days.

Owned.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vslayer Registered Senior Member

killjoy, this is not about me hating america, this is about the confusion it causes when im never sure of the date format. if the date is in ISO format then i can know the date with a single glance. there is no guessing at what format it is.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Let's go people. Vote! I want a new time stamp!

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

why? does sciforums periodicaly change its format?

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

no, but the majority of sites i visit use either the british format or ISO format. so if all of the british and american formats were converted to ISO format it wolud eliminate oll confusion.

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I still say us Americans need to go metric.

12. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

I think we should use the stardate system they use in Star Trek.

13. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Why should you be suffering this alleged confusion ?
    You know which format is used here, so all you have to do is read it that way.

I mean - I could understand you being confused if it was changed irregularly and without warning.... but it's steadfastly the same each and every time, all the time, plus without changing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So... are you bugging these Foggy Isle format users to "get with the program" ?

Inquiring dips want to know...

14. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Hey wait a minute, there's no 17th month...

15. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    I think I saw it in the Non Sequitur Thread...

`

16. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i know there is no 17th month, that is the only way in which i know which is day or month. however anything posted before the 12th causes a lot of confusion. i have never had to use american format date for anything except reading the date of this(and a few other) website. its like having to start writing everything in arabic format, when you have been writing left to right your whole life.

17. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Technically, it is in Arabic format, as it is not written V/XXVIII/MMVI - or MMVI/V/XXVIII for that matter.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

neither one of those are correct.
    the correct version is:
    xxviii/v/mmvi

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Umm.. today is 2006/05/28.

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Actually, it is also 11:26 PM.. but might make more sense to say it is PM 11:26. Because it's a pariety that describes which side of the "axis" it is on, just like numbers.

21. draqon Banned Banned

day/month/year

the date on sciforums should be individual for everyone. Thus the date on sciforums should be approximation of how many seconds,days,weeks,months,years a sciforums members has left being alive based on the birthday he/she supplied and the intelligent/idiotic responses that hint of understanding of life by this individual (and thus directly relate to how much time that individual will have to live)

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  22. leopold Valued Senior Member

i don't support either system
    therefor the date in question is 28 may 2006

as far as the time is concerned i also do not support either system
    the time in question would 26 past the hour greenwich mean time

23. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I whole-heartedly support this.

That is a stupid argument. Tell me the purpose of this subforum, and then just try to tell me this thread contradicts it.

He overtly stated that he didn't want to go into a war about whose system was better. Furthermore, he proposed a system which is neutral and international. That is not anti-American.

That, and start measuring temperature in centigrade. And I am doing my part to prepare for the day that we do the switch.

You're relying on the mindset that a proposed change will have no greater benefit.

This is an international forum. It's not just American, or just British, or just Namibian. Our time stamps should reflect that.

It would make more sense to get rid of the AM-PM business and say it's 23:26, which is also ISO.

You are missing the point of this thread, which is that we should start using a system which is neutral.