Most and least guttural languages?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by mountainhare, Apr 21, 2006.

1. mountainhare Banned Banned

Which languages do you believe are the most guttural and unpleasant to the ears?

Personally, I think that German, Dutch and Malay are extremely guttural, with German by far being the worst.

Italian is perhaps the most beautiful language in existence, followed by French and then Spanish. English is 'meh, so-so'.

What do you all think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

hehe would the PC-POLICE get upset if you criticised the "sound" of another language?

I guess its ok because you've criticised 2 european languages?

Have you ever heard people shouting in chinese?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Wlesh is rather annoying when spoken in a high, nasal voice typical of female welsh teachers (that is, teachers who are welsh and who teach the welsh language, not all techers of the welsh nationality)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think Latin is the most beautiful one.
    As the ancient Romans used to say: Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
    (Anything said in Latin sounds profound.)

I hope to start seriously learning it next year at my uni.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. draqon Banned Banned

The best language to my ears is the universal one. The language called silence.

9. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I think the sound of a language matters most to people who can't actually speak it. At least, when I hear English I focus more on the meaning...

For fictional languages, Klingon is gutteral and harsh, since it was designed using consonant combinations which occur in no natural languages. Quenya, on the other hand, is gentle and beautiful. Tolkien modelled his Elvish languages on Welsh and Finnish, the two European languages he loved most, but there are obvious borrowings from others such as Italian.

I don't think all gutteral languages are ugly, though. German can objectively be said to be gutteral, if you're referring to the use of sounds like velar fricative 'ch' formed at the back of the throat. I don't think that makes it ugly though. German can be spoken with a full range of emotions like any other language.

10. Roman Banned Banned

Italian just sounds greasy. I don't like it at all. And Latin sounds so goofy, since no one really knows how to pronounce it. They just read it. That, and the endings of the words sound hilarious. I bet it's an easy langauge to rhyme in.

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Punjabi.....hearing this language sounds like being hit in the head with a brick repeatedly.

Urdu is probably one of the most sweetest and poetic languages in the world. Every sentence uttered sounds like poetry rolling off the tongue....on the opposite end ofcourse; punjabi.

12. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I know quite a bit of German. I've read German poetry. It sounds just fine, even with the ach-laut. In fact, I really like the sound of the language. I don't consider guttural to mean unpleasant, at least not for Germanic languages.

But I guess I'm not a good judge, since the sounds of German are comprehensible to me. This would also apply for English. I find I'm unable to judge how English sounds and assign meaningful adjectives. It just sounds average, uninteresting, and unexciting to me, and I'm sure it's because it's my native language.

I don't think a language can really sound 'unpleasant' – rather, it just has a certain sound that one may simply not care for. It's all a matter of personal taste.

Here's how I perceive the sounds of a few major languages:

German is manly.
    French is lovely.
    Spanish is spicy.
    Italian is classy.
    Portuguese is velvety.
    Japanese is airy.

13. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i cant stand the german language.
    hebrew, which i speak is very guttural.
    dutch, which i speak is like a gay frenchman trying to speak german (this is how i learned pronunciation in dutch)
    russian is a very beautiful language, in my opinion.

14. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

portuguese is spanish to me. Sounds exactly the same. My favorite is french. I don't really find any languages ugly.

15. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

To me, Portuguese has more SH sounds in it. But other than that, Brazilian Portuguese does sound a lot like Spanish. European Portuguese, though, sounds a bit Russian-esque to me.

16. DouBTlessWonDer socially inferior to TV Registered Senior Member

I really love most languages, like Italian, Spanish, French, Russian, Japanese,etc except english. Maybe because its my native language--i think its really ugly and uninteresting.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's very unusual. The Chinese are very disciplined with the sounds of their language. They believe that shouting is losing control and is a violation of the social contract everybody makes with everybody else. If you start talking loudly and angrily among Chinese they suddenly start acting like you're not there.
    Wow, that's amazing. I can only conclude that you must be European. In writing the relationship is obvious and if you listen to the unnatural pronunciation of song lyrics many of the words even sound alike. But spoken Brazilian Portuguese, with its soft SH, J, and ZH sibilants and its gargled R, on top of the language's casual vowels, many of which are nasalized, sounds more like French. You'd never mistake it for Spanish with its always-perfect cardinal vowels, its lightly trilled R, and its tongue-between-the-teeth N, T, D, and L. I think Spanish and Portuguese set the record for being so very closely related but sounding so very different. Czech and Polish, Danish and Swedish, now those sound similar. I think Italian sounds more like Spanish than Portuguese does.

You can get a whole new dimension of sound texture by listening to a foreign language spoken by a non-native speaker. German is just rapturously lovely from the mouth of a Swede. Laura Pausini, the Italian singer, just made a CD in Spanish that's all over the Spanish-language stations, and it's heavenly.

I always thought Romanian was one of the most beautiful languages to listen to. If you want guttural, it's hard to beat Russian, or most of the northern Slavic tongues for that matter. An entire language family with no vowels.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

fraggle:
    russian language uses vowels!!
    my (soon to be) wife is a native russian speaker, and i hear it constantly..especially when i dont take out the garbage..

19. ecclesiastes Registered Senior Member

cmon sargent punjabi's a fun language..its like hindi with a lotta energy..
    my mother tongue malayalam is not guttural but very low-toned and difficult to make songs with..and the sounds are difficult for other people to produce..

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Of course, I'm exaggerating. Still, most people think that English is a little light on vowels, with words like "squirrel" and "extract." But Russian makes English look as vowel-intensive as Japanese or Hawaiian. Many English speakers can never learn to pronounce words like "knyiga" (book), "gdye" (where), "chto" (what), or "Dnyepr" (name of a river).

SHCH is considered one consonant, there's even a single letter in the Russian alphabet for that sound!

K, S, and V all by themselves with no vowel are prepositions!

Czech is even worse. "Plzen" (name of the city we call Pilsen), "vstup" (entrance), "khtsi" (I want). [I wrote that out phonetically, it's really spelled "chci".]

I forgot to mention Korean as a language that sounds rather guttural to most American ears.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I understand, speak (and read (slowly)) Russian, but can't imagine how anybody can find it a beautiful language, as far as the sound of it goes. But that's subjective, I guess.
    It seems very rough sounding to me.

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

23. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

Actually I am american. I remember taking a spanish class though, and we had a brazillian foreign exchange student in the class. He spoke in portuguese and it sounded exactly the same as the spanish, except I didn't understand it.

As for russian, I do find it a beautiful language.