Memoirs of a Geisha: fake

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by crazyfreespirit, Apr 15, 2006.

1. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

Ok, so I know this is old stuff, but I just read the book (Memoirs of a Geisha) and I feel kinda cheated. The translator's note had me thinking the book was based on a real story, and the whole time I was reading it it I was thinking "Oh that's sad...but its even sadder because it true." Now the book has just kind of lost its appeal when I found out it wasn't. It's still a great book, but when I thought it was somthing else the whole time, it ruins it.
    Has anyone else read the book? Were you tricked like me? or did you get it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah, I kept reading in hope of school girls being raped by tentacle beasts, or at least a bukkake scene. The book was sadly lacking. I guess that should have tipped me off about it being made up.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i read that book about a year and a half ago.
    usually, i dont read much fiction, but i thought it was a good book...fake or not.
    im pretty sure the author was actually sued by the woman he interviewed.

the saddest thing to me was in the beginning, when she escaped from the school for a night to see her sister as a "prostitute".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DouBTlessWonDer socially inferior to TV Registered Senior Member

yeah, the title is a little decieving...tricked me in high school. But still a good book/movie. I enjoyed both.

8. makeshift Registered Senior Member

I believed it was a true story too because somebody told me it was a true story. And I was disappointed by it, slightly. It was a beautifully written book though. And I learned what a woman's mizuage is too.

Don't watch the movie. Horrible. The Jap that played Hatsumomo was super hot.