anyone play any instruments?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Apr 11, 2006.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i just started to play the mandolin and the dizi flute, im getting pretty good, (only just started like a week ago).

anyone else play any instruments?

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Guitar for 2 years

Started fiddling with base on and off for about 2 months now.

One of the best things anyone can ever do for themselves is teach themself a musical instrument. Such a theraputic and beneficial thing to do.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I played the violin for 7 years. I also play a limited amount of guitar (i.e knowing how to hold the pick, and reading tablature). I agree with sargentlard. Learning an instrument is a great thing to do.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Facial Valued Senior Member

Isn't there a thread on this somewhere?

8. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

guitar/bass for a few years. i played the sax for about 5 years, but i haven't picked it up in about as many.

9. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

i definately agree with you.

10. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

I used to play long flute in my home country, but that was when I was a child. I don't remember how to play any more. I can also play hand drums.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I learned classical piano and later some guitar, my teacher is about 95 now. Lately I play the melodica, which is my favorite instrument, and I bought my friend's clarinet (I took a few lessons in High School).

12. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

I've played piano (classical and jazz) for 10 years, drums for 5, bass for 3, and guitar for 2.

AmishRakeFight

13. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

I've played piano for 12 years(though only about 5 of those were serious..the rest is self taught stuff, or made up), Guitar for 3 years, and flute for 2 years, though I'm pobably better at flute then the other two.

14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

15. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

I play fiddle, and I've experimented a bit with a few other things. Fiddle is my only love, though.

16. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

That's totally groovy. I've never managed to make the correct sound on a didgeridoo. I also can't seem to master circular breathing.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've been playing electric bass for thirty years. Before that I was a guitarist for twenty.

18. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

I have a Taylor acoustic that I pick up from time to time.

19. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

You must be very good by now. You have any recordings?

20. makeshift Registered Senior Member

Fraggle, do you slap? Slapping is the best. Lots of fun when you get good at it. Kinda like playing percussion on a guitar and gets you (well, me anyway) thinking more rhythmically.

As a result I find myself unconsciously using more complex timing in my jamming, not to mention different time signatures.

Gotta love that clean metallic popping sound too. Lots of treble and bass.

Bass guitar is up there among the coolest, funkiest instruments ever.

21. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

saxophone 8 years
    Guitar one year. Kind of funny how much I suck at guitar compared to saxophone.

22. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Guitar, bass (upright and electric), jewsharp, harmonica, piano (keyboard incl.), a little drumming, dulcimer, some kind of wierd primitive flute/recorder thingy, haven't played an auotharp in a long time, but I think I could still be pretty good with it, and a truly odd instrument called a guitarchime. It looks like a cross between an autoharp and a xylophone. I fiddle around with a fiddle (not very good yet, all I can play is an old tune called "Chester", which dates to the Revolution). I also have a Q'in, but all I do with it is accompany country western music for comedic effect. I was in the process of mastering the trombone when some guy gave me $100.00 for it. He said he wanted it because it was the kind he'd played in high school, but I think he just wanted to get me to stop playing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Actually, I found out later that it was a hard to find model. I don't care if the guy wanted it for resale of for an old memory. I didn't pay anything for it, so I came out on top a hundred bucks.)

makeshift I love bass, and I heard a song one time about bass players that talks about how underrated and underappreciated the bass is. I can't remember all of it, but I remember toward the end of the song it goes:
    Their eyes are all focused on the star,
    But their butts are all swingin' to the bass guitar

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No, I've never done any studio work. I have a day job and music is just an avocation.

I don't slap. I can barely get the sound if I work at it, I could never actually use it in a performance. I seem to lack the gene for funkiness, I've never cared for funky dance music. I prefer progressive rock, metal, reggae, goth, and plain old pop.

Chris Squire gets a very good imitation of that popping sound by just setting the tone controls properly... and he plays with a pick!

I'm waiting for somebody to invent a "funk pedal."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We can thank electronics for the prominence of the bass line in popular music. If we had to rely on acoustics, dance bands would still be using tubas and they don't play very fast.